1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High-Priced Medicines? Not High Enough, Yank!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ben_Hecht, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm just pointing out what a fucking idiot Rex is for suggesting we let people die in the gutter if they can't afford medical care.

If that were really the case how are so many illegal aliens, getting treated and sticking taxpayers for the bill?

Hell, how are so many citizens getting away with the same thing?

2. printdust

printdust New Member

Because the key to getting free health care in this country is:

Quit work.
    Go to the emergency room.
    Ability to speak spanish is helpful.

3. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Emergency care is not health care.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Don't forget the ability to speak Canadian too.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Exactly. You can get emergency care, but if you need any further operations, and don't have health insurance, you're going to have to pay through the roof.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Thank you, Doc.

The cost of health care is rising at a much greater rate than inflation in general. I am all for some kind of universal coverage that affords EVERYONE all of these new expensive treatments, which have multiplied in numbers exponentially over the last 30 years and cost billions of dollars to develop. There is a long way from wanting everyone to have the highest standard of care available and every cutting edge treatement, and being able to pay for it, though. The same people who talk about it as a "right" never seen to acknowledge that health care expenditures are approaching 20 percent of our GDP. If that makes your eyes gloss over as meaningless, consider the size of our economy and the fact that that amounts to $4 to $5 trillion dollars. When someone has a plan about how to create $5 trillion dollars (and that is not a fixed $5 trillion, because the costs are going to continue rising on us), then we can talk about it as a "right." Otherwise, it si a pipe dream. There isn't a country on earth that has figured it out. They either ration (Canada, for example), have mortgaged their growth and destroyed the economy (France with its unemployment and attitude of entitlements) or have two-tiered systems that are NOT universal (Great Britain). I am not saying any of those solutions are bad, but they are certainly not utopias and they are hardly creating resources we don't have. We still create more medical innovation in this country than any other, and there is a reason for it.

7. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

8. Jones

Jones Active Member

Having just been released from a Canadian hospital today, I'm going to defend the Canadian system.

I had to wait two months for my surgery, and that was partly my fault, because I canceled the first appointment. My surgeon is regarded as one of the top three in North America. He did an excellent job. My nursing care was very good. I got my gall bladder removed at Cedars Sinai in L.A., which I believe is one of the best hospitals in the U.S., and they did not do as good a job. The pain management here was better. Even the incisions are cleaner. (Cedars also billed me $48,000. The only pieces of paper I left with today were my reminder for my followup appointment and a prescription.)

I was not rushed out of the hospital. There were empty beds. The room at Cedars Sinai was much nicer, but that was the only check in their plus column.

I went to the pharmacy today to pick up my painkillers. They cost me $3.03.

If you need "non-essential" surgery, like my dad's knee replacement, you might wait a while. If you have a cancerous bowel, like the man in the bed next to me, you will not wait. That's where the rationing comes in. For instance, my mom broke her wrist this winter and needed surgery, and she waited three days. She was treated -- put in a cast and set -- but she had to wait for the surgery. That was partly because a dozen people in Ottawa broke their wrists that days on icy sidewalks. But again, the surgery was done well and she has made a full recovery.

Don't bash the Canadian system. It is much better in almost every sense than the American system. It's not like we're pouring over the border in droves, as some posters would have you believe. I would much sooner be treated here.

Hell, go to the pill colonies outside Yuma and tell me your system isn't fucked up.

And the idea of universal health care is that while yes, we're paying for the occasional idiot who rides his motorcycle too fast, we're also safe from becoming bankrupt if, one day, through no fault of our own, we fall ill -- as is the case for people who become sick with cancer, MS, Alzheimer's, and God knows whatever else -- we will be cared for. That's the deal. We'll continue to take it.

Sorry for the edits. These pills are fucking ridiculous.

Draft saved Draft deleted