1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High Definition

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NDub, Sep 18, 2006.

1. NDub

NDub Guest

I sold TVs at Best Buy for a year and just quit a few weeks ago. Before I turned in my two weeks, I bought an HDTV. I couldn't resist.

I'm watching all of these football games and shows and I'm blown away by picture and audio quality. What else absolutely kicks ass is that you see so much more of the field, audience, sidelines, etc. I think HD adds a completely different perspective to sporting events.

It's become pretty popular lately with recent FCC regulations and that TV prices have dropped so drastically.

I don't think you can get through a commercial break without a Best Buy, Circuit City or HH Gregg ad.

So, this thread could probably go anywhere.

Thoughts on this revolution in resolution? How big is your HDTV? How many channels do you have? What looks the best?

And go..........

2. NDub

NDub Guest

By the way, my TV is a 37 inch LG LCD. If I had a bigger room and bank account, there is no question I would have bought the 60' Sony XBR SXRD.

But, I'm happy as hell with this TV.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I've got the 60" Sony SXRD. Will go down as one of the best purchases of my life.

My cable has around 250 channels, including 14 high-def. Only one that I know is out there right now that I want is TNT. The sports, of course, rock. I think ESPN and the Deuce somehow produce their HD broadcasts better than the networks. The pictures just seem to step off the screen.

Discovery Network HD is awe-inspiring, of course; there's a reason that's the channel they have on in showrooms. Can only sit through that stuff for so long for a great picture, though. HDNet, HDNet Movies, HD Universal ... a great picture, I just wish their programming selections were a little stronger.

There's the one phenomenon I can't get over, though, and it's not just me; I hear it from other guys, too. You can sit there gaping over the picture -- sports, prime-time viewing, anything -- and turn to your wife/GF, and she'll be shrugging her shoulders and saying it's OK, nothing great.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

My HDTV is only 36 inches, but when you have had no bigger than a 19 inch TV in your lifetime it is awesome. The thing that sucks is, I moved to my shop recently and the town only has 5 HD channels and none of those is ABC or FOX, meaning I can't watch the NFL, college football or MLB in HD. Other than that, it was definitely worth the purchase, especially knowing those cheap fuckers will have to go HD in the next few years.

5. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

My buddy just bought a 42-inch HDTV, a Panasonic I think he got for around $1800. I didn't know he had high def on one night I stopped by. He had The Tonight Show on, and I thought it looked so clear. The stage lights were reflecting off Jay Leno's suit, it was like looking out a window.

Then he said he'd turn HD off to show me how bad I had it. I was blown away at the difference.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

50" Samsung DLP. It rocks.

I was watching Giants-Eagles today and my wife sits down next to me and says "Is this in HD?" I assured her that it was and she said: "Well, the faces don't look any different, but I guess the blades of grass look better."

7. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Shottie, I think you and I have both mentioned this before. It happens in my house fairly regularly. I thought I had finally made some progress, when, after watching a movie on HBO (my only HD channel right now), my wife said "boy the credits are really sharp". I said, "that's HD, now do you see it"?

She said, "you bought a 3000 dollar TV to read the credits easier"? She still claims she can't see any change in the picture.

Siiiigggggghhhhh

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've got the 60 Like Shottie . 21 when in town likes it even better than I do.

One thing that still drives me nuts though is range of broadcast quality on the HD telecasts. I've noticed on some of lesser non natioanl games networks must skimp on quality or not do game in Hi def.

I've yet to figure out why that happens but I am sure it has to do with bottom line.

9. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

And while we're at it, what's up with the appalling lack of channels in HD? Where I live, I can't get my local channels in HD and many people all over the country still can't. I know that many local stations, in order to comply with government deadlines, went with low power transmitters and do not cover the same area in digital that they do with their other transmitters, so it is partly a money thing since lower power is cheaper.

But I have DirecTV and they want 11 bucks a month for something like 12-13 HD channels, a couple of which we would just never watch. I want my HD dammit, it's the 21st century.

And, while we're at it...where the hell is my flying car?

Oh, I have a 61 inch Mitsubishi, which started out as a 42 incher in a family room remodel. But, the hole in the wall just kept getting bigger and bigger, so what could I do but get a bigger TV? ;)

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OK< has anyone bought Vizio and had it for a significant amount of time -- enought to recommend or not?
    Ms. Slappy and I have seen it at Costco and are relly impressed with the pic, but dont know if it falls apart when you leave the purchase place....

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

We have a Sony Bravia which Consumer Reports gave a favorable rating. Naturally -- I saw it was on sale this week... But so far no complaints after a few months of viewing.

On the football, yesterday Mr. Lugs and I noticed Fox and CBS looked FANTASTIC. NBC not so much. I suspect it's something on NBC's end, though.

12. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Slappy, Vizio's are supposed to be pretty good, and you certainly can't beat their price -- 25-30 percent less than the big brands for the same size HD TV.

I have a 42-inch Panasonic plasma, and I'm totally in love. I'm saving up for the 50-incher for the family room so that we can move the 42-inch one into our bedroom.

I have Adelphia cable, and they one of the best HD packages going. We were getting 14 channels in HD, and they just added ABC and TNT the other day. About the only HD channel currently in existence we don't get that I want is Universal HD.

I get ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, TNT, HBO, Showtime, Starz, HDNET, HDNET Movies, INHD, INHD2, ESPN, ESPN2 and Discovery.

Draft saved Draft deleted