1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High Blood Pressure. Anyone Had It?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

So, I went for a physical. My blood pressure is high. Much too high.

I'm taking steps to lower it, immediately. Two half-hour walks this week already. Fruits and veggies. No late night snacks. Salt, gone.

Anyway, anyone else tried to lower theirs? How long does it take, usually?

Just wondering.

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I don't, but I know many very close to me that have it. One thing I can say, you worrying about it will not help it come down anytime soon. You are taking steps in the right direction and doing what you can. So try and not think about it for a while. It's not something that you can rush.

3. newgrad2008

newgrad2008 New Member

My mom has it bad enough that she's on medication, at 52. My mother in-law cut out soda. The doctor said it would help bring down her bp and she had the added effect of losing a lot of weight just from getting rid of soda. She lost it pretty quickly, too.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Went on medication 3 months ago, and walk the big block (0.8 miles) every day. Get to enjoy the neighborhood. BP back to almost normal. The bottom number is still 10 high, but we're working on that.

A lot of things I have cut out, but I draw the line at soda. Although I will substitute sweet tea gladly. Gimme real sugar over that HFCS crap.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I have it, as does my mother. I am on meds for it, but I quit salt cold turkey and have cut down on my Coke intake.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I started taking BP med about a year and a half ago - hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ). It basically makes you pee a whole lot, but it knocked it down to perfect in no time. I already exercise regularly, so there wasn't much I could do about that. I don't eat terribly (not great either by any stretch), so the medication was really the only option. It's no big deal. One a day after brushing my teeth in the morning and I'm good to go.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid meds if I can.

I'm 32. And it's high, way too high, so that might not be an option.

I'm gonna go three months strong at being good.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't have it. I've been known to give it though.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Tell me about it.

[​IMG]

10. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

The only bad thing about thiazide (or any other water pills, for that matter) is that they can cause gout. And that's no fun. HCTZ was my first medication, and it worked great for a year or so ... until the gout kicked in.

11. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

According to my doc, alot also has to do with your genetics.
    Welcome to the world of lysinipril and just be glad you caught it early.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

My mom's dad died from it, my mom has had it for years (but is fine with medication) and according to my physical last Friday, I'm very closing to having it.

The fact that the preceding three weeks were very stressful didn't help matters, but I know I should be taking much better care of myself. My mom is preaching the no salt thing to me. I don't put salt on anything, but it's amazing how much sodium is in virtually everything in my fridge and freezer.

Draft saved Draft deleted