1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hibachi this, Dukies!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Jan 25, 2007.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Not to defend Arenas, but K was a moron for cutting him.

2. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Another AI hater. Iverson was never Nash?! ::)
    And Kobe should be the MVP this year(and should've been last year too).

And isn't this the same Gilbert who told the police while being arrested "You can’t arrest me. I’m a basketball player. I play for the Washington Wizards, and I’m not going to leave my teammate"?

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Busted! Helps prove my point, Chuck.

And Hondo, oh omnipotent one, who should have gone to keep the Mighty Gilbert? I'm SURE you know more about basketball than Mike Krzyzewski. ::)

4. How did Team USA do under Coach K?

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

OK, Ellis, so based on your logic, Larry Brown and John Thompson are also total idiots because they didn't bring home gold medals.

We can hammer the personal shortcomings of each until we're blue in the face, but there's not much denying each's ability to coach and lead teams.

6. Wasn't denigrating his coaching ability. Just his ability to evaluate NBA talent. I could think of at least three guys who should have been left off the team.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Larry Brown and John Thompson are indeed total idiots, because they are more fixated on forcing teams to (in their opinion) "play the right way" than they are on actually winning games.

They're the ultimate devotees of the Norman Dale philosophy: "At the end of the game I don't care what the scoreboard says, in my book you'll be winners."

What the scoreboard says is what counts.

8. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

You do know that Larry Brown is the only coach EVER to have a NC and an NBA Finals ring.

9. Sam -- You're pole-vaulting into fanboy land.
    And this story is just funny. We gotta lighten up here.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

NCAA title won with an ineligble pro player. NBA title won when the other team spectacularly self-immolated.

Over-Rated.

And Thompson should have won about 4, not 1, NCAA titles in the 1980s, with the talent he had on his rosters, but his sludge-ball strategies succeeded in keeping games close enough for him to lose to amazingly inferior opponents.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Thompson and Brown aren't idiots, their megalomaniacs, control freak with delusions of infalibility and vastly over rated. Given the talent they were able to surround themselves with, you could argue they underachieved. For all Thompson's bravora, if it weren't for Michael Graham, a barely literate thug, he never would have won his single Champioship.

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Larry Brown's had 1,500 different jobs. He's BOUND to have stumbled into a championship-caliber club or two along the way.

Draft saved Draft deleted