1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HGH different from steroids

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jakewriter82, Mar 26, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The NFL, women . . . is there anything you do like?

2. [​IMG]

Just guessing here.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Funny you should say that, Chick Klosterman wrote a piece for Page 2 last week about people's apathy towards HGH and general drug use in the NFL, using everything that's been uncovered in the past five years from the Carolina Panthers to Merriman. I thought it was very well done.

And Moon the Loon was horse amphetamines, not HGH.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I believe others have said it, but the "regardless of how safe ..." argument for me comes from it being the short cut. As Doc said it does have some medical implications attached to it as well. I am of the utopian belief that from a moral standpoint, it shouldn't be the athlete+performance enhancing drug vs athlete+performance enhancing drug. If an athlete can only train so much due to their slower recover time, then so be it. While it is readily available on the black market, as is my understanding, it does not mean everyone has access to it either. It is also my understanding it is illegal to sell the stuff? so why then should it be OK for athletes to illeagally obtain something that in effect will help them cheat their way to a better contract?

As far as your cortisone comparison is concerned, I'm sure he wasn't just buying it on the black maret, I'm sure it was administered by a trained medical professional. At the time, and I assume still is, Cortisone was not against the rules, and is readily available to those that need it. Medical risk, absolutely. But then you watch any drug commercialon TV or read one in a magazine – whether it is for acne medication or hair loss medication, and they will list off a half dozen or more side effects from the drug.

5. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Source time. whether you believe them or not, they are recognized bodies of expertise regarding genotropin(HGH). Please note that use of HGH in adults to increase performance is not a recognized indication, nor is anti-aging.

From WADA 2007:

What are the side effects of hGH abuse?

* Commonly reported side effects for hGH abuse are: diabetes in prone individuals; worsening of cardiovascular diseases; muscle, joint and bone pain; hypertension and cardiac deficiency; abnormal growth of organs; accelerated osteoarthritis.

* In untreated acromegalic individuals (known for pathological over-production of hGH), many of the symptoms described above are observed and life expectancy is known to be significantly reduced.

* Because of the role that hGH plays in stimulating IGF-1 secretion, excessive use of hGH may also lead to metabolic dysfunction, including glucose intolerance and other side effects associated with excess levels of IGF-1.

From Mosby Drug Consult http://www.merckmedicus.com/pp/us/hcp/thcp_pdr_template.jsp?pg=/ppdocs/us/common/mosby/genrx/drugs/monographs/e2266.htm

Genotropin lyophilized powder is indicated for:
    • Long- term treatment of pediatric patients who have growth failure due to an inadequate secretion of endogenous growth hormone.
    • Long- term treatment of pediatric patients who have growth failure due to Prader- Willi syndrome (PWS). The diagnosis of PWS should be confirmed by appropriate genetic testing (see CONTRAINDICATIONS ).
    • Long- term treatment of growth failure in children born small for gestational age (SGA) who fail to manifest catch- up growth by age 2.
    • Long- term treatment of growth failure associated with Turner Syndrome in patients who have open epiphyses.
    • Other causes of short stature in pediatric patients should be excluded.
    • Long- term replacement therapy in adults with growth hormone deficiency (GHD) of either childhood- or adult- onset etiology. GHD should be confirmed by an appropriate growth hormone stimulation test.

6. Sounds a bit like WADA over-dramatizing, Doc. Lots of "mays" and "if you have a condition, might make it worse."
    And beef, I have no you with you, but I don't understand your argument at all.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

So you're saying legal substances that help you short-circuit the recovery process are OK to use and illegal ones aren't, right? It's not about the health of the athlete or saving the children or any of the other disingenuous bullshit I keep hearing, right? I'm OK with that.

Interestingly, though, one of the problems caused almost wholly by the deregulation gang is that there are/were various substances legally and readily available but untested by the FDA or any other organization (such as andro) that blurred the line.

8. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Since HGH is a hormone, when it is introduced in excess into the body, it will affect the pathways and feedback loops that already exist. The reason "may" needs to be used is because the effects are dose related. For its medical use, levels of IGF-1 can be measured and the amount of HGH prescribed adjusted to the individual patients.

And close monitoring is required because some adverse reactions are specifically bad for HGH. One side effect is intracranial hypertension, or increased pressure within the brain that can cause headaches, visual changes, nausea and vomiting. It is self limited if the symptoms are recognized early and the medication stopped. Hypothyroidism is also associated with therapy and needs to be monitored by the physician. And finally, because of the way it is metabolised (using the cytochrome p450 system..only because somebody might ask) there is potential for interference with the normal metabolism and breakdown of corticosteroids, sex hormones and a variety of medications.

New uses for medications are often found and off label prescribing is common. If the athletic community wanted to pursue good research on optimum dosing of HGH to promote training regimens and at the same time minimize side effects, then I would think that a reasonable approach. Without the safety profile in place, then the use of HGH should not be condoned.

9. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

(I think) I read somewhere that LaRoche was recently (last year or so) put on Ritalin. His batting average went up.

That crap will help you concentrate on anything .... why aren't people raising hell here?

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I'm guessing because he needs it to better mentally function as an adult with a disease.

11. keef spoon

keef spoon Member

Now you're talking!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted