1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey, zeke. A Question.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Dec 31, 2007.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

If I had a laptop (in better terms, afford one), I could give you a live p-b-p of my caucus locale. The best thing that will happen once the clock strikes midnight here is that people can register on the same day of the election, rather than having to do it 10 days in advance.

Expect a lot of folks to switch from one party to another and back when they show up to caucus on Thursday. I have stong feeling that it'll be fucking insane here in Des Moines on starting Wednesday and ending Friday afternoon.

JB is spot on about the way HRC is ramping up her last-minute stuff: shows up, gives her spiel, and gets whisked away without answering any questions. Even Chelsea Clinton rebuffed a grade-schooler's question about how would Bill do as a "First Man."

I'm nuts for even having this notion, but she'll find a way, if the National DNC have it their way. Then again, I'm only talking.

BTW, both state parties are holding a "Raucus before the Caucus" NYE shindig downtown for the media honks who are already in town. Typical of our goofy governor, Culver asked and got a menu put together for everyone to eat.

The menu: fried Twinkies and Maid-Rites

The media would rather spend $500 at 801 Steak and Chop than to kill themselves with junk food.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

At last, Yawn's true identity is revealed:

[​IMG]

Happy birthday, Yawn. :)

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Fenian, perhaps it's approrpriate that I read this on New Year's Day, you know, turning a new page and all that. But this is truly a first - the first remark you've made that sends me a message of hope and optimism that by damn, all is right with the world. Or, getting there.

4. zeke -- Another WTF moment, at least for me.

http://weblogs.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/politics/blog/2007/12/obama_gore_kerry_alienated_hal.html

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Is there a transcript or video? Pardon me for not taking the word of "a guy at the event."

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Yes, for you, Fenian.

And even if it's true, you don't think half the country didn't want to vote for either Gore or Kerry as soon as they got the nominations? Maybe not where you are. But in many, many parts of the country which are appalled by the politics where you live (whether they're right or wrong to be doesn't matter, that's just the truth), that was the case.

7. And this ad
    Leaving aside -- again -- that Gore won the popular vote by 500K, this remark by Obama advantages the goals he seeks to advance, assuming he seeks to advance them, how? By appealing to people who absolutely will not vote for him under any circumstances? There is no mushy middle out there. Not this time around. The people who are disatisfied with the D's are disatisfied because they're not partisan enough. Obama, again, seems to be working the Green Room primary here.

8. Flying Headbutt

How far to the lift do you think the country, in general, sits?

Likewise, was gerrymandering the ONLY reason why Republicans held on to congress so long?

And finally, did so many independents vote for Bush in '04 because, at first they were dying to vote Democrat, but then refused to do so because it was Kerry?

There is a moderate group of voters not beholden to any single party except the one doing the best job of taking care of their interests. Right now it's the Democrats, at least at the national level. Years ago the perception was much different. The war and the disparity in the economy is what's driving many of them to vote Democrat. But gains in one year (and likely again this yewar) don't exactly make a mandate nor a guaranteed majority. Just ask Karl Rove that one.

9. The Republicans "held Congress" -- meaning both houses -- for not very long at all, certainly not in comparison to the way the D's held the House for nearly 40 years. In an act of charity, and for the sake of argument, I might be willing to date R partial dominance of Congress back to 1994 -- so, off and on, partially, for 20 years.
    As much as David Broder wants to believe it, there simply isn't this great reservoir of moderate unaligned voters out there waiting for some altruistic candidate to eschew politics in a political process. Not in this election.

10. Flying Headbutt

So how come the only Democrat to be elected president in my lifetime was Clinton? So Carter was around the last year-and-a-half of my life, but other than that, it's been all GOP. At the same time that the Dems have held congress for much of the time.

And again, why did so many "independent" voters vote for Bush in '04 instead of Kerry?

You're leaving the impression that a majority of the voters want to see Democrats elected. Yes, that's the case where you live. Hell it's the case where I live. And while most independents will favor the Dems this year, you seem unwilling to concede that it won't be the case every single year.

For arguments sake, do you think Dennis Kuccinich would beat any Republican out there next year if that's what the election came down to? Are the voters that partisan to take any Democrat, even the one furthest to the left, against someone like a McCain or Romney or something?

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Posters who want to elect Democrats live here.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

College football lives here, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted