1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey young guys, recommend some new hip hop

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Iron_chet, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I saw on the Jay-Z thread some comments about a new Raekwon album so I thought some of the members of the board might be able to recommend some new hip hop for me.

I am firmly stuck in the 80's/90's/early 2000's in my taste and would not mind checking out something new.

Likes: Big fat beats, Dr Dre, earlier Snoop, NWA, Eminem, Ice Cube, Jay-Z, I own and still listen to the one ODB CD, some Wu Tang.

I am more about the beats and don't care as much about amazing rapping.

I listen to the hip hop channels on Sirius and other some Little Wayne and Kid Cudi there is not much on there that I have wanted to rush out and buy.

I need some fresh beats so I can bust out my Maestro Fresh Wes "Dope State" jacket :)

2. Mmm...Really can't help help you out with beats. I'm more about the actual words.

3. Unfortunately there isn't a lot out there in terms of "big beats" that's half decent anymore. The Game kind of has an old school West Coast rap flavor going on and both of his most recent efforts are pretty solid. The likes of Young Jeezy and T.I. are also more mainstream types that are a bit more about production than lyrical value.

If you like true hip hop (which in my mind is a different animal than rap), there's some good stuff out there. Sounds like you're already on it, but the Kid Cudi CD is pretty solid. I'm also a fan of Lupe Fiasco. He has a new CD dropping in December but you can check out his most recent efforts "Food and Liquor" and "The Cool." I'm a big fan of his.

Also, I'm into Flobots, F.L.O., Elzhi, Common, DJ Muggs and Planet Asia.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I second the recommendation on Lupe Fiasco ... Food and Liquor is one of the best hip hop albums I own.

Common has a new album out. I haven't heard it, but I've always been a fan of his.

I don't think he's had a new album in a while, but Chamillionaire's last one was pretty solid (check out "Hip Hop Police" featuring Slick Rick).

I'm a fan of T.I. as well .... King and Trap Muzik are both awesome albums ... I haven't heard all of T.I. vs. TIP, but it has some solid singles.

5. Raekwon, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx 2

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Most of the rap today is drenched with techno crap designed to make people dance in the club.

I miss the fresh G-Funk flavor that Dre introduced, with intelligent lyrics.

Now, get off my lawn.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

That said, I liked Eminem's new album all right. "Beautiful" is a nice track to eat Cheetos to when you're high as fuck.

8. Giggity

Giggity Member

I really like a lot of stuff on the Rhymesayers label - especially Atmosphere and Brother Ali. Fantastic stuff.

Atmosphere:

Ali:

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Don't know which songs Giggity linked, but I'll second Atmosphere and Ali.

Draft saved Draft deleted