1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey, wine aficionados, help me out

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shotglass, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Kendall-Jackson Merlot is always a good standby.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Just to catch y'all up, the Amelia Chardonnay was woody, too. But it had lemony overtones on the mid-palate. Much softer finish.

I give it a Robert Parker 91.

3. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

1:30 a.m., and Shottie was mixing reds and whites.

Children, this is a good example of playing in traffic. Shottie is now roadkill.

Anyone with his phone number, please call him. Get his sorry ass off the floor.

4. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Official beverage of SportsJournalists.com remains a tall glass of STFU.

I would nominate Pine and Post Merlot as the official wine.

Boom holds the title of the whine of SportsJournalists.com

5. Magic In The Night

Actually you can mix whites and reds, and even champagne if you do it in the right order. Now if somehow you wander into tequila shots, it all goes to hell.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I avoided the shots, and really had no hangover this morning. All is well.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What is it? "Red after white, you're all right; white after red, better off dead"?

8. Magic In The Night

Well, if you're just drinking the wine to get drunk I guess. But wine tastings always start with champagne or sparkling, move to whites and then to the heavier reds and finally the ports and dessert wines.

Other random alcohol advice: Liquor before beer, have no fear. Wine before whisky could be risky.

9. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Sorry about Chazping this one up, but I didn't want to start another thread.

Anyway, is anybody aware of any kind of red australian wine? I guess it's fairly sweet. I'd like to get some for someone's birthday. She told me the name but I completely forgot what it was.

10. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Well, there's not much in the way of sweet reds from any region - you're essentially down to dessert wines, namely sherry and port. But port is from Portugal and sherry is from Spain.

Maybe there's a shiraz from down there that's sweeter?

11. Magic In The Night

There are lots of good Australian reds. In fact, a certain formerly famous golfer now married to a formerly famous tennis player makes some damn good Aussie reds. But kind of like restaurants in Paris, I've found almost all Australian wine is pretty good. There is, I think, even an Australian red sparkling, which I've never had but is supposed to be good. Maybe that's the one that's sort of sweet?

12. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Yeah, so it turns out the Australians are complete drunkards. "Australia" was by the far biggest section of any of the regions, and the name didn't come to me as I had hoped it would. I just broke down and called her and asked. The store, of course, didn't have it. Even now after she told me the name again I can't remember it. I got something else she likes.

Hustle, it was apparently a shiraz, a term that before tonight I didn't even know existed. I am completely hopeless when it comes to wine.

Draft saved Draft deleted