1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey, why does The Economist not have bylines? (And another byline matter.)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Feb 7, 2009.

1. I've always wondered. I've heard it's so the heavy-handed editors can make big changes to make copy conform to "house style," but I don't know if that's true. Anyone know?

Also, here's a question I've occasionally asked myself. How much less happy would you be if your work appeared in print anonymously?

I don't care at all where my stuff runs in the paper - it's the quality, rather than the recognition, I care about; I'd rather have a perfect 6-inch gem on Page 19 than a mediocre thing on Page 1. I'd like to think it wouldn't matter if my name was never on a piece. But...deep down, I think that recognition - having people say, "Hey, I read your story in the paper! Nice!" - is part of the reason I was drawn to this profession. (I love writing, learning about people, exposing lies, etc. etc. - but the profession-related attention is nice, even though I don't seek the attention on a day-to-day basis while in the profession. If that makes sense.)

Your thoughts?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I get too much of a thrill out of a byline to write anonymously. Don't really care too much about the exposure (i.e. where my work appears) or the recognition. Just like seeing my name in print; can't deny it.

3. Because the Brits suck.

4. It's not merely a vanity thing. Bylines are practical. When you cover a beat, your sources will learn to recognize your name and associate it with your work, establishing credibility.

5. It's also very old school.

Draft saved Draft deleted