1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey, where did my stats and game notes go?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kingcreole, Mar 4, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oooh, been there, done that. :D

My coworker -- who, uhh, wasn't quite as agile -- sliced up his leg trying to scale one of those fences after getting locked in following a state playoff football game one night. Good times.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i always looked for the hole, gotta run, and tried to squeeze, bust through. i'm not big into "scaling" anything but a pint glass.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

They actually ask more than once? Lucky bastard.

Very rarely anymore do I get to send from the pressbox/scorer's table. Our first edition is early enough where it doesn't matter, but by the time I'm ready to write for the second edition, they want me out. Now. Not in 15 minutes. Now. So I just pack up and go to a nearby hotel and sit in the lobby and work. It sucks, but it's better than getting into arguments like the one I had two years ago in Podunk with a cop and stadium worker. They wanted to know why I couldn't just go back to the paper and write, or use my cell phone. Oh, if only it was that easy ...

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I can top that. I once got run out of a high school football field's so-called "press box" (a whopping 10-feet-by-4-feet-by-8-feet plywood box) because the custodian wanted to go home early and clean up Saturday. I ended up sending via cell-phone-modem from the tailgate of my truck at the truck stop down the road. Wasn't all bad, though --- a truck driver took pity on me and bought me an extra-large cuppa coffee (t was maybe 50 degrees that night).

5. Slash

Slash Member

I was finsihing a HS football gamer when the custodian hollered up to me that he was going home. He told me to shut the lights off and lock the press box. When I finished, the entire stadium was black. I was supposed to hop over some orange construction fence, but instead decided to knock it down. As I was going to my car in the empty parking lot I saw two shadowy figures whisperining. They yelled over to me. I raised my hands and said I was a reporter. I hustled to the car and got out of there.

One other time in a college press box, the SID left for his office and left me and another guy alone. Maintenance guys asked us twice when we were going to be done. Finally three campus cops came up there and made us show our IDs and read us the riot act. I complained to the SID and it never happened again.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've never had a problem with colleges or pros, but plenty at the high school level.

One of my co-workers had it worse. At a high school football game, they locked him out of the press box with his laptop inside while he went to get quotes. Then when they get it open, it turns out his computer is in a lockbox, and they had to get the AD to help him get it out.

Luckly, the AD was also the football coach and a good guy, because the people running things while he was busy coaching were complete asshats.

7. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

What kills me is when you complain to these pigfuckers, they always whine back that, "Well, we never get no newspaper people covering our games."

Gusee what? I f I have anything to do about it -- and I do -- you'll never get no newspaper people at your games again in a long, long, long time.

Draft saved Draft deleted