1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey, when he does good....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20060614235109990001&_ccc=4&cid=842

Associated Press

WASHINGTON (June 15) - The world's largest protected marine area is being created around the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands, an archipelago 1,400 miles long and 100 miles wide that is home to rare marine mammals, fishes and birds.

President Bush is to announce on Thursday his decision to create the nation's newest national monument from the vast chain of largely uninhabited islands, atolls, coral reef colonies and seamounts.

Conrad C. Lautenbacher, head of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, said the new protected area in Hawaiian waters would dwarf all others.

"It's the single-largest act of ocean conservation in history. It's a large milestone," Lautenbacher said. "It is a place to maintain biodiversity and to maintain basically the nurseries of the Pacific. It spawns a lot of the life that permeates the middle of the Pacific Ocean."

The region hosts more than 7,000 species, at least a fourth of them found only there and including some on the government's endangered list, such as the Hawaiian monk seal and the nesting green sea turtle.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

3. But Al Gore made a movie! He's the real environmental president

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Watch the movie, you brainless fuck.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, all Bush is doing is putting some hard-working American fishermen out of work.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Has the pot been introduced to the kettle yet?

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

To quote one of Lou's heroes....

I can beat the kid like a rented mule with half my brain tied behind my back.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

How exactly does one put half a brain cell behind their back?

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This thread arrived at Ground Zero in record time.

Way to go.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

...But Bush did what he did only after (a) originally stripping the area of environmental protections set up by Clinton and Gore and (b) WATCHING A MOVIE ON THE AREA!

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-hawaii15jun15,0,6373457.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Now if he'd only watch Gore's movie, maybe he'd join the 21st Century and take steps to scale back ozone depletion. Naaaah, never happen!

Looks like another swing and a miss from our Triple-A hero, Lou Merloni.

11. Hmmm... let's see..

He considered something - he did not actually strip the protections. Nice little projection and wishful thinking on your part.

Clinton had the chance to do this but did not. Even though he had uber-enviro VP Al Gore. Care to explain why not? And that last sentence is mystifying. I'm guessing that one of the President's that designated less federal land as wilderness was Clinton too (the LA Times is just to tactful to say it in print).

Yup - sure did put me in my place with that LA Time piece.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If watching movies spurs Bush to action, let's strap him in a chair and force-view "Independence Day," "Dave," "Murder at 1600," "An American President" and "Air Force One" on him. :D :D

Draft saved Draft deleted