1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey, Washington Caps fans, Puck Daddy is throwing a Pens vs Caps viewing party

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jan 15, 2010.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

on January 21 to watch the Capitals take on Baby Jesus at Bailey's Pub & Grille at the Ballston Mall in Arlington.

Ok, this looks like fun. If it weren't winter and Washington was just a little closer, HC & I would drive down for this

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Reminder-Puck-Daddy-Japers-Rink-Caps-vs-Pens-v?urn=nhl,213897#comments

We'll be raffling off an autographed Caps hat and an autographed Caps puck, both signed by Alex Ovechkin(notes) and courtesy of Yahoo! Fantasy Sports. With the growing popularity of hockey in D.C., there's a very good chance these items can actually be used as legal tender locally.

Once more, with feeling: This is not strictly a Capitals event. We want Penguins fans, en masse, representing the Stanley Cup champions. We want a rollicking room. Or, at the very least, we want someone else to get lucky. Come one, come all, tell a friend or seven, and we'll see you there.

Sounds almost as much fun as a Leafs game at the Goose. :)

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Crap. I'll be in North Carolina covering college hoops this night. Won't even be able to watch the game. :(

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I may have to hit that. And fuck Penguins fans.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/small/0910/pittsburgh-fans-do-it-better-pittsburgh-penguins-sluts-fans-demotivational-poster-1256897844.jpg

That's not a bad idea if it involves these two. NSFW.

5. I wouldn't make the trek out to Balls-town for guaranteed sex. F that place.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Has the NHL ever had two players this good, this young playing on very good teams who seem destined to play each other in the playoffs for nine of the next 10 seasons?

And they just seem to be so perfectly different as well.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I was thinking a Wings game at the Post...

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

They're the Apollo and Dionysus of hockey. The Beatles and the Stones.

My cliched take on them is that OV is the most exciting player in hockey and Sid is the best player.

The only other players I can think of who were so dominant at about the same time but so different were The Rocket (OV) and Mr. Hockey (Sid)

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

That's a pretty good comparison of the two, JR.

As for D93, there has been a comperable pairing in every generation.
    In the early 80s there was Gretzky and Bossy -- Gretzky obviously the greatest in the game, Bossy arguably one of the most pure goal scorers in history -- and they met for the Stanley Cup a couple of times, both part of great dyanasties. Gretzky, however, had a much longer career as Bossy faded into the background in the late 80s as injuries took their toll.
    I would also say Gretzky and Lemieux, but I don`t think they ever met in the playoffs, unless it happened late in their careers.
    There was Orr and Lafleur in the 70s, although Orr was a few years older.
    JR brought up Howe and Richard in the 50s.
    and I`m sure you could go all the way back into the 20s on this one.

But Crosby and Ovechkin is something this game has been missing for a few years. The life was sucked out of the game through the late 90s and early 2000s and while there were some great individual players like Sakic, Forsberg, Lindros, Yzerman, Roenick, etc. None of them quite captured the imagination of the hockey watching public like BBJ and OV. And that`s no knock on those other guys. Jagr could have been one of those guys if he had the heart and drive.
    I think the head to head battle everyone would have wanted to see that would have garnered similar comparisons would have been Forsberg and Lindros, but again they never met in the playoffs.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I liked him better when he was called Pucky.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Gretzky and Lemieux never faced each other in the playoffs - the only time they were in the same conference was 1996-97, and Pittsburgh and the Rangers did not play each other that year.

Orr and Lafleur never met in the playoffs either. Montreal ousted Boston in the first round in 1971, the year before Lafleur arrived, and the teams didn't face each other again until the 1977 final, by which time Orr was gone.

Draft saved Draft deleted