1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey, Taco Bell, "Where's the Beef?"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jan 24, 2011.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I agree. Went to one a few years ago because my pastor raved about how good the joint was. Not terrible, but definitely didn't live up to the hype. They had a t-shirt design I really liked so I got one. That thing was practically unwearable after one washing because it shrank so much.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Furthest east I ever saw a Taco John's was in the Quad-Cities (Davenport, Bettendorf, Moline and Rock Island for those keeping score at home).

Used to work at one in downtown Iowa City during my college days. Free potato oles at closing time to get the drunks to leave (we were going to throw them out/eat them ourselves anyway).

Agree on the 99 cent Taco Bravo, that's a great deal ... I think that's still Thursday's special.

And Petrie, there still is a T-John's in Spokane, between the mall and Rogers H.S. on Wellesley. That's the only one I know of in the Spokane/Cd'A region.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm a proud son of NJ, but In-N-Out is the best.
    Fresh quality beef, and not injected with 'beef flavoring.'
    Fresh cut fries

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

So it will still clog your arteries with the best of 'em.

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Taco John's is more widespread than I thought.

http://www.tacojohns.com/locations.asp

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

In-n-Out is a lot better than its real direct competition, which is McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, etc. It's not better than the fancier burger places. It also pays well and treats employees well, which is why you deal with an English-speaking employee who sincerely seems to give a shit. (As for west coast burgers, it absolutely pales next to Tommy's.)

Finally had Five Guys for the first time last year. It was... OK. Which was disappointing, because I paid for a hell of a lot better than OK. If I'm in the mood for a decent burger I've got Fatburger, Smashburger, Culver's and a few independent places that are cheaper and better than Five Guys.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm not disparaging Tommy's. I'm a big fan.
    But there's a huge difference in the actual quality of the ingredients.

I'm a lifelong White Castle fan, but I can tell you In-N-Out burger uses better ingredients.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm actually fastfood-free in 2011.
    Also on an alcohol fast until Paddy's Day.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That is not a high bar. The bottom of my shoes have better ingredients.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Is the beef local? Organic?

http://www.hulu.com/watch/208808/portlandia-ordering-the-chicken-part-1#s-p1-sr-i0

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Times had an article about that show the other day. Sadly, I don't get the channel.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

There's a Taco John's in Bloomington, Ill. There's also Taco John's in Kentucky and southern Illinois. I've hit several of them on road trips.

Draft saved Draft deleted