1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey, Taco Bell, "Where's the Beef?"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jan 24, 2011.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

http://eater.com/archives/2011/01/24/lawsuit-claims-taco-bells-meat-isnt-really-beef.php

Much to probably no one's surprise, there's only about 36% beef in their "seasoned beef filling".

No, it's mostly water and "extenders" like "wheat oats, soy lecithin, maltodrextrin, anti-dusting agent, autolyzed yeast extract, modified corn starch and sodium phosphate." Also, something called "Isolated Oat Product." Mmm, oat product.

Yum, yum.

2. DietCoke

DietCoke Member

That is pretty disgusting. Look at the label of any processed food some time - that is, if you never want to eat Hot Pockets or frozen pizza again in your life.

Thirty-six percent beef.

Makes me seriously feel ill to my stomach.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

This isn't a surprise. The Jack in the Box tacos aren't meat, they're a soy product.

But I would rather things like wheat oats and soy lecithin. Has anyone either cooked or read the ingredients on chorizo?

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sounds Healthy - less beef / more whole grains and soy. At .99 cents who can quibble. The standard should be that it tastes good. Throw on some extra hot sauce and they are pretty dam good.

I wonder what the beef content of their black taco is.

JR this is pretty ironic on the day you provide us a recipe for haggas.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Ragu sees nothing wrong with this.

6. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

I'm with Boom. Did anyone really think they were getting a chopped up steak in a taco? Jesus, it's Taco Bell. You either like it or you don't. Nobody's legitimately getting scammed.

Now, that said, pretty stupid move by Taco Bell. This is going to cost them way more in bad PR than using actual ground beef would have cost.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I miss Taco Bell.
    Last January scieza and I decided to stop eating fast food, breaking our tradition - with us and a former news editor - of Taco Bell Tuesday.
    I miss it sometimes, but not after reading this.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No one ever figures they're getting anything but overly processed food with a lot of additives at ANY fast food restaurant. There was no mention of anyone getting scammed. But we're talking 36% beef here.

No one thinks there's some guy at the back of a McDonald's cutting up potatoes for their fries either.

Maybe Taco Bell should do a Haggis Taco for tomorrow.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Screw Taco Bell ... the best "Taco Tuesday" was at Taco John's.

Two hard shell tacos for 99 cents. I'm sure they were 100 percent beef, too.

Long live Potato Oles!

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Black Taco tastes a bit like haggis.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

They'll never rival places like McDonald's or Taco Bell, but folks like Five Guys Burgers & Fries have capitalized on this and are offering burgers made with real, never frozen ground beef and hand cut fries. (They stack their bags of potatoes on risers in the front of the house and the sign on the wall tells you where that day's potatoes come from.)

Even Chipotle (which, I believe was spun out of McDonald's Corp.) touts its "Food with Integrity." They try to source sustainable, hormone free beef, pork, and chicken.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Five Guys is vastly overrated.
    Went to one and it was good, but it didn't blow me away. I was impressed that two patties came on it when I was expecting one. Fries were pretty good though.
    Chipotle is the balls. I wish there was one closer to me, although my bank account doesn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted