1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey! Sports Copy Editor/Designer , Davenport, Iowa

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Diego Marquez, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Company: Quad-City Times
    Position: Hey! Sports Copy Editor / Designer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: March 1, 2007
    Job ID: 730230

Description:
    SPORTS COPY EDITOR / DESIGNER QUAD-CITY TIMES

The Quad-City Times has an immediate opening for a sports designer/copy editor. We need the usual ingredients: A creative person who has a passion for not only visuals but can turn a phrase in a headline, think of content-driven breakouts and knows when a story has holes in it.

The Times is a 52,000 daily/72,000 Sunday located in Davenport, Iowa -- right on the banks of the Mississippi River. We are owned by Lee Enterprises, also owners of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and newspapers in Madison, Munster, San Diego and nearly 50 more daily locations.

At the Times we cover the Bears (yep, have a reporter at the Super Bowl), the Iowa Hawkeyes, University of Illinois, Iowa State and a local landscape full of minor league sports. The Times sports section just won an APSE Top 10 award in 2006. We have great reporting, excellent photography and offer a great benefits package. We could be your logical next step in your move up the career ladder or the perfect place to start after college.

Send us tearsheets, a Web link or a CD. We want to see your work and read all about you. This could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship. Quad-City Times Human Resources Attn: Sports Copy Editor/Designer 500 E. 3rd St. Davenport, IA 52801 jobs@qctimes.com Fax: (563) 383-2464

The Quad-City Times is a Drug Free Employer. The Quad-City Times (www.qctimes.com) and Lee Enterprises, Inc. (www.lee.net) are Equal Opportunity Employers. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or disability.

Hey...

2. Pops

Pops Member

Hey! For me, it's usually reputation, location, salary and THEN quality of handshakes, but sometimes there's no use splitting hairs.

I believe this opened up because the new ASE came from within (see post about a month ago).

3. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

I don't know if I'd call Escondido "in San Diego."

The Davenport paper used to be Lee's flagship. They're still based there, but I'd imagine the Post-Dispatch is the focus now.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

And to call the product in Escondido/San Diego a "paper" would be a stretch. For its nearly 100,000 circulation in a not-poor area, it seems paint-by-numbers small and irrelevant.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I feel bad for San Diego. For a city that size, the Union-Trib isn't much better. :)

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

WHALE'S VAGINA, Calif. -- I've always wanted to write for the Union-Tribune.

7. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Munster? Something to trumpet?

8. m2spts

m2spts Member

I enjoyed my too-short stay at the paper in the 1990s, cut short by an accident that necessitated my return home. Good product, great community, nice people. Some are still there. Take a chance. I just might.

9. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Bumping this one to the top, for phone calls are now being made and interviews set up.

Draft saved Draft deleted