1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey president bush, can you identify these people?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

True, Saddam's regime did result in thousands of deaths. However, that was never the reason given for invading until after the WMD furor was disproven and the "links to Al Qaeda" nowhere to be found. I doubt people would have been frothing at the mouth for an invasion of Iraq four years ago had the proposed reason been "Saddam is killing his own people." With bin Laden still unaccounted for, I would imagine the populace would have said, "uh, what about the actual 9/11 culprit?"

More on the humanitarian role: Darfur defies this logic. The Saudi Empire kills its own people. These are two more notable instances, but there are surely others.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

As I wait to hear about those weapons of mass destruction that Saddam had. Hell, I don't have to wait at all to hear about how many hundreds of thousands have been killed thanks to this administration's incompetence and delusions.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Sorry, but if that's the standard, then next stop: Beijing.

4. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

I added this, but after others had already posted: Darfur. The wool was pulled over America's eyes with all this WMD mess and some refuse to admit they were duped.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Can someone tell me the relevance of the Plame comment?

Is there a logical leap I'm supposed to make?

6. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Criticize away, by all means, but popping off comments like that just dilutes your argument, abbott. Unless you are a WH insider or close friend of the prez, how in the hell do you know he hasn't looked at those pictures?

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I can accept that as a reason to invade Iraq, even without weapons of mass destruction. However, I do believe the Sudan is in greater need of an asskicking, G.W. Bush style, than Iraq ever was. But then again, Dick Cheney can't think of a way to make money off of Darfur, so we invade Iraq. I think China's human rights abuses are pretty horrible, when will W. attack Beijing?

The question is no longer why are we in Iraq, the question is, why can't Georgie win the war?

8. I patiently await the explanation of why the war wasn't sold to the American people on the basis of a 20-year humanitarian mission to rid the world of Saddam Hussein but, rather, as a means by which we had to defuse an immediate threat from weapons (that did not exist), and from flying drone planes and mobile germ labs, and why it was important to destroy the career of a covert operative working in that very area in order to maintain the lie.
    And, no, it is not worth it and the Iraqis are manifestly worse off now.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I like how people talk about how crazy and ruthless Saddam was,which is true. But if we wanted to take out a crazy lunatic dictator that posed a direct threat to our nation, Kim Jong-Il should have been far ahead of Saddam.

10. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

HA, you gotta be kidding me! Didja maybe forget there is oil in Sudan?

And typewritehill, if you want it so bad, man up and do it yourself, big talker. Say hi to Sirhan Sirhan.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Let's hear how you feel about the number of operatives who were likely rubbed out because of
    Cheney's throwing Plame under the bus.

"crickets"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Are you looking for a visit from the Secret Service? Really not the smartest thing to joke about.

Draft saved Draft deleted