1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey Now - Ethics Discussion with Wise, Daulerio, Others

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Agreed.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Afterwards will be a panel discussion on "Cultivating Sources" with Jason Blair and Stephen Glass, followed by a cocktail reception with Lindsay Lohan.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Luggy brining the heat!

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Mitch Albom's invite must have gotten lost in the mail.

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

He's covering it, and will file Oct. 30.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I feel the same way. I think it would be lively.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

This panel also strikes me as more interesting and better equipped -- perhaps in a disagreeable, entertaining way -- to talk about this topic than others you could assemble.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

No. I'd prefer to hear ethical people discuss how they managed to be successful.
    It's like having only recovering cocaine addicts warn kids away from drugs. They tell stories about how horrible it was for them.
    And the kid looks at them and thinks, "Yeah, but you're still here and look pretty good. I guess it's OK for me to do coke."

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'd love to add an old school newspaper journalist to this discussion, like a Bill Dwyre. That would liven things up even more. Still, seeing King next to Daulerio has great potential for fiery debate.

10. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Yes, having those whom I agree with would be a good addition to this panel, but bringing the people I disagree with gives me an opinion I haven't already heard or don't have.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Any great panel needs strong differences of opinions or points of view, and the willingness by participants to mix it up rather than defer and be overly respectful of each other's stance.

I agree that someone like Dwyre would have been a great addition to represent solid, traditional newspaper ethics. Too many in mid- or early career are already halfway down the slippery slope.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I for one would consider Lindsay Lohan an expert to listen to regarding cocktail receptions.

Draft saved Draft deleted