1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey Now - Ethics Discussion with Wise, Daulerio, Others

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Sent to me recently:

A discussion panel put on by the IU National Sports Journalism Center is scheduled Nov. 2 (yes, election day, I know, but it was the only day we could do it). The panel is going to focus on sports journalism ethics in the digital age, and is going to focus largely on the recent scandals involving Brett Favre, Mike Wise's tweet, etc. The discussion is going to be important, but the panel is phenomenal:

Mike Wise, Washington post Columnist
    Rob King, Vice President and Editor-in-Chief of ESPN.com
    A.J. Daulerio, Editor-in-Chief of Deadspin.com
    Ashley Adamson, sports reporter for WISH-TV 8 in Indianapolis

For local folk, the program is going to start at 7 p.m. on the fourth floor of the IUPUI Campus Center (and it's the day after Monday Night Football, so some national media may be interested in attending if they're going to be around an extra day for some reason). It's free to attend.

For people out of the area, they can check out sportsjournalism.org the day after the event and we'll have a full transcript and video clips from the event available (I'll shoot you the links as well when I get them up).

If you don't mind putting this out there, I'd really appreciate it. This is an important, and obviously very timely, subject to discuss.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Cool beans, Moddy. Love to be there.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I guess Ashley Adamson will take the "yes" side of ethics. I hope she isn't overwhelmed by the numbers.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

This is parody, right?

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was thinking that, too. Couldn't they add a few people in favor of journalistic ethics to balance the panel a bit?

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Does Mike Wise have to do these sort of things as part of his community-service sentencing from the WaPo editors who kept him on the payroll?

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It's like Michael Vick speaking to kids in behalf of the Humane Society.

8. writingump

writingump Member

Fill in your own punch line here ... I see some of us already have.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

IU has also announced that they have invited Bernie Madoff, Bernard Ebbers and Dennis Kozlowski to appear on a panel discussing Wall Street ethics.

10. Journo13

Journo13 Member

In other news, Rick Sanchez has been invited to speak during a Anti-Defamation League event.

11. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Good lord, I'm two hours from Indy.

12. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Granted, this panel could be balanced a little better, but aren't these the people with whom we want to discuss ethics?

In a room full of journalists, most of us know the "right" philosophy. To hear the view of those whom many of us think are "wrong" seems like an opportune experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted