1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey NBC, is the 'Spider-Man' musical really worth...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

... half the fucking Nightly News?

Edit. Make that two-thirds.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They had a whole huge segment on the Today Show this morning, including their reporter telling Bono to "Break a leg" before hugging. Yeech.

And let me guess, NBC, or one of their parent companies, has a financial interest in Spidey. I'd be shocked if they didn't, given the coverage. After all, they flog their Olympics stuff all over the place.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I might take my wife to see it this summer, but only if I can get the TKTS discount. Not paying $67.50/ticket for balcony seats.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You won't find Spider-Man at TKTS. Tourists are going to snap the those tickets up -- especially during the summer.

And, I don't know if they have a financial interest in the show -- I doubt it actually -- but there was probably some trade off.

I'd look for a U2 concert on NBC.

5. beanpole

beanpole Member

Bingo. I'm expecting Edge, Bono and the Spidey lede actor doing music from the show as part of Today's summer concert series.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I could give a shit about the Today Show, but airtime on the Nightly News should be pretty sacred. I know there usually is a fluff piece at the end, but 2/3rds of the show?

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm guessing even bigger than that.

Like the prime time special (I think they've done it before on) the night before Thanksgiving. They've featured Garth Brooks & Shania Twain in the past.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I checked the production credits - no Universal or Comcast involvement. Its funny - I was thinking if you wanted people to invest in a show - you would get two big name rock singers to write the songs, get a renowned producer/director and base it on a mainstream character that everyone is familiar with. Throw in some never-tried-before stunts and technology? It's like the Bizarro The Producers.
    I hope someone was shooting a "making of" documentary - probably end up being more interesting. Hell, the original producer died two days after Taymor, Bono and The Edge signed on.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I was interested. The show was a spectacular, dangerous flop that they are trying to retool.

It's not like it was a puff piece. They mentioned the horrible reviews, the accidents, etc. and ask Bono and The Edge tough questions, which they seemed to answer honestly.

I thought it was solid journalism.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

A preview of 'SpiderMonster the Musical' from next season's "Sesame Street"

Draft saved Draft deleted