1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey Nancy Is the War Over Yet?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 23, 2007.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Boom: over the last 5 1/2 years, the GOP has captured and retired the intellectual-dishonesty trophy. This bunch of thugs is unequalled. It'll be such a shame when they're all thrown
    out on their self-serving asses.

Have A GREAT day.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

'Course, in the case of the current White House occupant, I used the word "intellectual", advisedly.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ben

Your anger for today should really be directed at your party. I can't imagine Jim "rambo" Webb is very happy with this development.

You have a nice day also.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Boom, this is a message board. People are free to comment on anything they want.

What, you can't think for your self? You have to parrot Chris Lynch's bombastic nonsense?

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Here's the deal: Most Americans are stupid.

Many of them do not understand the concept of congress and believe all things are run through the president. This is why so many people vote in presidential elections yet forget to vote in just about every other one.

Yes, there are many people that will view the Democrats as rather cowardly on this issue. However, this will all be forgotten in a few months when the debates return.

6. Boom_70

jr - I started this debate - one I might add that promises to be a very interesting and polarising.

you in your typical fashion take a pot shot at me instead of rendering an opinion on democrat party changing course.

Now a second post from you not debating topic but taking a shot at Chris L.

7. Boom_70

It will not be forgotten because the the democrat presidential canidates will be pressed on the issue. They will have to discuss it over and over.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

A presidential position is different than that of a Congressman. The population understands this.

Sure, everyone wants the war to end, but let's be fair about who really gets stamped with it. It isn't going to be the Democrats. This is Bush's war. No matter how much the Republicans want to saddle the Democrats with this one, they can't.

9. Boom_70

Agreed - it is Bush's war but the democrats ran on a platform lst november that they were going to end war and bring troops home. Much of country agreed and voted accordingly.

Now the democrates are backing off a bit. I think their decision will lose a lot of hard earned trust and prove to be a problem for democrat presidential canidates unless they go againt party.

This is a real black mark for leadership of Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid and John Murhta.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Before you know it Boom and his ilk will be blaming the democrat party for starting the war.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

That's called checks and balances skippy.

Sort of like when Slick Willy vetoed the tax cut bill for unmarried couples. The international aid Bill. The highway bill. The partial birth abortion bill.

That's despite the fact that the senate and house had both passed all of those bills. That is how our system works.

I know, I know vast right-wing conspiracy made him do it......

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

John Murtha and Harry Reid are just as much loose cannons and wackos as anyone on the other side of the aisle could ever hope to be and their version of leadership is not what this country needs, now or at any point in time. Their rhetoric is every bit as "mean-spirited and hateful" as Newt's ever could have been and their attempted bullying tactics are tired.

Meanwhile, Nancy Pelosi is a leader of a fractured party with a razor-thin majority right now and that means she is spending far too much of her time trying to put out fires and make deals with her own people to reach across the aisle and make the kind of deals she will need to make in order to get stuff done.

There is something to that old axiom about absolute power corrupting absolutely.

The Republicans had it for too long and made a cluster fuck out of it with their idiotic attempts to force their brand of morality on this country as well as their attempts to shame and disgrace people from the other side. But rather than learn from those mistakes, the Democrats are headed down the same path, which isn't a shock because it was easy to see coming when they were running a nationwide campaign based entirely on one issue --- and a negative issue for the other side at that.

I said when they came into power -- if they go to Washington with the idea of making small strides towards their agenda and forming bipartisan allegiances on many common ground issues in order to move this country forward they will be very successful.

If however, they spend a lot of their time trying to seek revenge for all the "mean" things Republicans did when they had the big offices as well as trying to smear and discredit the President, they will be a very short term majority and their current ratings seem to bear that out.

Americans are tired of this back and forth third grade bullshit in Washington and the quicker the Democrats -- who are supposed to be the kinder, gentler and more compassionate party -- learn and understand this the quicker they will have a chance to move forward in what it is they are trying to accomplish.

Draft saved Draft deleted