1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey Nancy Is the War Over Yet?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 23, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Were you paying attention to what the democrat leadership was saying prior to fall election?

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yes. And now they are realizing that to get anything done they have to reach a compromise, instead of parading around the country blaming lawmakers for not providing the troops with funding.

Someone is going around the country saying he wants to provide funding, but can't with a timetable as part of it. Now the timetable has been taken off the table in the new proposal, and he's still not going to sign off on it. What's the excuse now?

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

That wasn't a rant. That was an eloquent but terse reminder to the Democrats of the reason the electorate lifted them into the majority just six months ago.

Pragmatically, I think it's a foregone conclusion that a timeline for withdrawl will happen by September. The Republicans have all but said that. However, by capitulating to the president now, the Democrats weaken their hand with Bush and their stature with the electorate.

What will be interesting to see is how Clinton and Obama handle this. The 2008 Democratic race could change mightily.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

There should be no question, the Democratic leadership gave in. They should have stuck to the guns of their original bill. Or were they just kidding? Congress has the purse strings, if the President wants his money he'll abide by their rules. Just like if I want my paycheck I'll go my job, or when I was younger if I wanted my allowance I'd mow the fucking yard. They should just sweep all 535 of those fuckers out of there.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You know, Boom, people try and educate you but you still don't get it right: it's the Democratic party.

Until then, your credibility is zero.

6. Flying Headbutt

Not when he's right it isn't.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Sure, they could have stuck to their guns. Or they could have taken the high road and compromised. That they're coming towards the middle to try and make a deal says to me that they want to try and work with the president.

The trouble is, he doesn't want to make a deal, and again looks silly because even though the Senate and House leadership took a timetable off the table to get something done, he's thought to be set to veto the thing.

Again, I ask, what's his reason now?

8. Flying Headbutt

I thought the compromise was giving him the funding in the first place, since so many of us want out of the war. The petulant man who would be king doesn't get a blank check, but if he holds out long enough eventually those weaklings will give it to him. Even his own party is sending members to tell him to wake the fuck up and he won't. Instead Shithead Rove calls them up and starts trying to bully them, as if the Republicans in congress aren't needed anymore. Unbelievable.

The people voted the Dems into office for a reason, and it wasn't to pussyfoot on this stuff.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

The only compromise here is the trust given to Democratic leaders.

W's daddy took the high road some 16 years ago when he compromised with Congressional Democrats and reneged on his "Read My Lips" pledge. That compromise was what condemned the elder Bush to the one-termer club.

This is an unbeliveably bad decision Pelosi and Reid are making. Hopefully, enough Dems on the Hill can convince them of the error of their ways.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Just caught the Olbermann comment on the replay.

Damn, that was well done.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Nobody can call KO a DEMO homer

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

jr - if my credibility is zero what does that make yours as a canadian sticking your nose in U.S. politics - you must be in the negative.

FHB - you nailed it with this sentence:

"The people voted the Dems into office for a reason, and it wasn't to pussyfoot on this stuff."

Much of the trust and good will that the democrat party gained in November was lost yesterday. Anyone who does not see that is being intellectually dishonest. There is no positive spin that can be put on this major change in their position. It will be very interesting to see how Hillary and Barack handle. It will be hard for them to say they agree with their leadership but equaly hard to say they don't.

Draft saved Draft deleted