1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey, mnsj.com!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I don't think you can combine Edina East and Edina. Edina just has the one high school now, from three -- East, West and Morningside.

2. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Rosie,

I could be wrong, but I don't think they ever had three. Just East and West, until West closed.

3. jeffshelman

jeffshelman New Member

Rosie,

My newspaper combines Edina and Edina East because Ikola was the Edina coach during the previous one HS era @ Edina, was the East coach during the multiple HS era there and was the Edina coach when they went back to having one HS. Plus East was the Hornets as well.

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I knew I wasn't hallucinating. This is from the MSHSL record book, appearances in the boys hockey tourney:

Edina-Morningside . . . . 1955, 1956, 1957, 1960, 1962
    Edina . . . . . . . . . 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972,
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1995 (AA),
    1996 (AA), 1997 (AA), 1998 (AA), 2000 (AA),
    2007 (AA)
    Edina East . . . . . . . . . . . 1973, 1974, 1977, 1978, 1979
    Edina West. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1981

5. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

I never knew there was a Morningside HS. Know the Morningside part of town, but not that the HS was called that at one time.

Brian Burke is from there, for you Canucks who have mentioned him on the hockey thread...the 1974 East team was a machine.

6. joe

joe Active Member

I got a University of Minnesota long-sleeve T-shirt from my Secret Santa. I wear that thing all the time.

7. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

I've always liked you, Joe.

Rosie, next year FSN should put a girls HS hockey game on the Hockey Day schedule.

8. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I agree, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Just like I'm not going to hold my breath that FSN admits there are other college programs outside of the U. (Like UMD's women's team which blows the Gophers out of the water when it comes to success [/former Bulldog])

Jeff, I see your paper's reasoning, and while I can't disagree with it, my overtly northern bias causes me to irrationally dislike all things Edina. Nothing personal. :)

Rumor has it that Baudette isn't going to host the Hockey Day games next year. Mr. Rosie told me he heard something about having it become a traveling day. Thoughts?

9. jeffshelman

jeffshelman New Member

Rosie,

I can't argue your distaste for Edina. I'm far from a supporter (though I played HS hoops with the current Edina HS boys bb coach). I don't care one way or another about them. I was simply pointing out that whichever FSN guy said Edina wasn't completely insane.

I'm glad we had a piece on the Ness kid in our paper the other day. As someone who grew up in outstate MN, I think our paper's prep coverage is sometimes a bit too focused on the western 'burbs.

Also, I was in the house at the old Civic Center the night Spehar had the hat trick and scored on the penalty shot. Fairly amazing.

As far as FSN and college hoops, I think it's going to be interesting to see what happens when the current contract with the Gophers is up. I would not be surprised if the Big Ten Network takes more and more games -- especially Friday night games. Because of that, it wouldn't be surprising if FSN puts on other schools.

10. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Man, all this 'love' for Edina. Haven't any of you heard of Eden Prairie? :D

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fuck that... Go Skippers!

12. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

The son of Bud begs to differ :D

(See you at Fletcher's. First one is on me)

Draft saved Draft deleted