1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey, mnsj.com!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Feb 9, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Copycats.

2. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Only if your day is showing high school and college games too. ;)

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

They played "O Canada" just for you, JR.

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Edina? Greenlay picks stinkin' Edina as the best hockey program in the state?

At least Gorg showed some sense in picking Roseau.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Edina? Maybe in the 1970s. Since then, they haven't even been the best program in their conference. That's Jefferson.

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Even if you combine Edina East, West and Morningside, you still don't have the best program in the state.

I think Jefferson's been making regular appearances in the tourney since the early 80s.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Plus, Jefferson fielded what was likely the best HS team ever there in the early 1990s ('92? Help me out, Rosie.)

That said, Roseau is the best program in state history. Appearances and titles throughout the history of the tournament, and what, two or three titles now as one of the smaller small schools playing up in the big class?

8. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I think it was 91 or 92, I'd have to do some looking up stuff and I'm too lazy to do that right now. :)

Roseau won the AA title last season, is ranked number one in AA since the beginning of this season. Again, without looking it up, I'm pretty sure they are first or second in total appearances since 1945 and are right up there with total titles.

9. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I will readily agree with that, and I'm glad for it.
    I spent 22 years as an Iowan, the last eight below the Mason-Dixon line.
    Came home at Christmas to 4-5 inches of snow and ice everywhere. It was great for a week, but I've got to admit I was glad to leave it behind...

10. jeffshelman

jeffshelman New Member

Because I'm at the office, I did a quick bit of research.

Here are some stats

Roseau
    26 state appearances in the one-class era
    5 appearances in the two-class era
    7 state titles total, 5 runner up finishes

Edina/Edina East
    22 state appearances in the one-class era
    6 appearances in the two-class era
    9 state titles total, 3 runner up finishes

Bloomington Jefferson
    7 appearances in the one-class era
    2 appearances in the two-tier era
    7 appearances in the two-class era
    5 titles total

Edina is much stronger than Jefferson, which has really taken a hit with the emergence of Holy Angels as a power. Holy Angels has stolen/recruited/taken several top Jefferson kids. Jefferson has been to state only once since '02.

There's little question that Edina and Roseau are the two best teams in the state this year.

A couple of other interesting numbers in terms of appearances at state:

South St. Paul -- 28
    St. Paul Johnson -- 22
    International Falls -- 19 and 9 titles (though 3 are in Class A)
    Hill-Murray -- 13

11. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Zeke, Jefferson has been on the other side for a while now, if you want to consider it as an elite program. The feeder program is not there...things change...the numbers aren't there anymore...

Jeff, don't know if I'd put the AHA thing that way, but the privates seem to have a way :D

12. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Yeah.

Draft saved Draft deleted