1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey, mnsj.com!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

According to the Duluth News-Tribune, it was two below at game time for the Eveleth/Lake of the Woods game. The wind chill was 24 below.

Lake of the Woods won, 5-0.

Next up, St. Thomas vs. Hill Murray. (The wimpy Cities kids are playing inside. ;) :D )

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Days like this are why I'm glad I pay for the SportsPack on DirecTV. I just flipped to Fox Sports North and the Hill-Murray/St. Thomas Academy game is getting ready to start.

FSN North needs to pony up for the state tournament.

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Hockey? Outside? In Minnesota? In February?
    I'm from Iowa. I'm used to cold.
    But I'm watching this now... you Minnesotans are crazier than I thought.

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

You Iowans don't know cold like we get in Northern MN. ;)

An hour break, then the Wild and Islanders face off at the Xcel.

(As an aside, this day couldn't have happened on a better day as I am still flat on the coach, just sick enough to feel nauseous if I try to do anything. We won't even mention the painful coughing.)

5. I did spend a Christmas vacation in Deer Creek, MN about a decade ago. It was like -60 at night. Coldest I've ever been.

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

That's just brisk, WB. ;D

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Rosie, I headed to work.

How'd that Roseau game turn out?

8. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

1-0, Roseau.

Scoreless through two, Roseau scored early in the third.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Go Rams!

My brother is buds with a lot of those kids. And the Ness kid is really fun to watch. Sees the ice well.

10. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Mr. Rosie works up in Roseau quite a bit. In fact, he was there this week. Since he knows so many people there, it's always "Go Rams!" around here. :) Sure hope to see those kids smoke the Cities kids in the tourney this year.

So Zeke, who's your vote for high school hockey legend? I have to go with John Mayasich.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Much as I loathed him as a Gopher -- and I'm sure he's even more loathed in your area -- I've never seen a schoolboy with a better scoring touch than Dave Spehar.

John Pohl would be my sentimental choice.

Phil Housley has to be up there, too, along with the Brotens. And, obviously, Mayasich's numbers will never be equaled.

Too hard to pick. But I'll never forget Spehar at the tournament, that's for sure.

And I, too, hope Roseau smokes EVERYONE at state! Probably the greatest consistent story in American HS sports.

12. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I never saw Mayasich and Boucha play, Antonivich I only saw play as a pro. It's almost unfair to try to pick just one, they all were incredible players.

Any time the small schools kick butt on the big schools, it's a happy day. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted