1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey Michael Rosenberg Are You Out There?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just finished your book -- "War As They Knew It" - Congratulations, you have written a great book on Woody and Bo.

It pulls together a lot from that era.

One of best books that I've read in a while.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Am hoping to get that as my airplane book when I fly to MSP in two weeks... problem is, good luck finding a book on yankee football in the south...

3. Boom_70

Its more than just a football book. It even mentions Bill Ayers and SDS.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Oh, I know the premise... but if it isn't about hedges on the sidelines, you aren;t buying it in this area.

Just bought it on Amazon...

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Was my airplane book this week... very good stuff and I'm not just saying it because A) he mentioned the place where everyone knows my name and B) he tweaked McCabe -- although both were plusses...

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I agree. One of the best I've read in a while, too. One of those books you don't want to end.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I've been meaning to go out and buy it. I hope it's as good as yesterday's column on Rod Marinelli and his lovefest with tunnels.

8. Michael Rosenberg

Michael Rosenberg New Member

Sorry, I missed this the first time around. Thanks to Slappy for pointing me here.

Thank you, Boom and TwoGloves. Much appreciated. I'll check back here later in case anybody has anything else to add, or any questions ... or in case you have changed your mind and now think it's the crappiest book ever written. God knows there were times I felt that way myself.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I want to know why you hate Mick McCabe so much :D

10. Boom_70

Michael have not changed my mind, it's a great book from a fascinating period in our nations history. Given that William Ayers is back in the news your timing was perfect.

What gave you the idea to do this book?

11. Michael Rosenberg

Michael Rosenberg New Member

What gave me the idea? I thought it would be fun to have ulcers for two years and this seemed like a good way to do it.

I knew Woody was a friend of Nixon's, visited the troops in Vietnam four times, was an outspoken supporter of the war, turned down pay raises when he was making $35,000 and walked three miles to work to reduce reliance on foreign oil. And I knew that Ann Arbor was not really a football town when Bo arrived. So I thought maybe there was a story worth telling, though I didn't really know what the story was. Thankfully, Woody turned out to be more fascinating and likable than I imagined, and this ...

... was really several years in the making. That gave me a story arc.

As for my timing, it was perfect except for the economy collapsing five days after publication. :eek:

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hey! I paid for my copy you cheap SOB

Draft saved Draft deleted