1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey! Liked your piece! Could you re-do it for us?! Can't pay you, by the way!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Norrin Radd, Mar 5, 2013.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Thayer got $350K for the Pol Pot interview?

Why, he should have just cut it down into snippets and sold them for $25 each to sell to TV stations everywhere. What's a few moments to repurpose a story out of a day for a few extra bucks?

2. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Defending shameful behavior by blaming the system always works well.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Coming up next on "When Editors Show How Badly They Need Editors..."

4. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

The Atlantic: "We lost money for 158 years so you should too."

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

I am interested in what the editor has to say for exactly two paragraphs. They were wasted trying to establish some kind of sympathy/street cred/inconsequential BS about the editor's career.

4,100 words. No thanks.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree with Ragu on this. How much he gets is purely market driven.

It's not just about how long it took someone to write or "repurpose" (how I loathe that word) the story. It's about the story itself, which, depending on how good it is, has its own value which you negotiate. This is not a factory job.

And the thing that rankles me (as Ragu points out) is this editor apparently didn't have the decency to do a little research and discover who she was dealing with. Shameful

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I agree with all your points. Nate Thayer would get more than $300 or he wouldn't do it. My example was really referring to a typical journalist.

Even aside from my previous point that I wasn't talking about Thayer, part of my job is editing down stories often to half the length or less. I know the process. To do it well would take a day on something like this, and $300 is a more-than reasonable fee for an eight-hour freelance project these days. Thayer doesn't need $300, so he can tell whomever he wants to go fuck themselves. That would equate to a $78,000 annual salary if you worked five days a week.

8. If 2,000 words is a great piece, what's 4,100 words called?

9. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Here's someone who is part of the problem. I will never be able to justify working for free.

Got one of my two expected stringer checks in the mail today. What a great feeling.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's a crying shame that you think your time is worth so little, let alone Nate Thayer's time.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The Atlantic had to lose subscribers today, right? It was a dumb thing to write and horribly written. But people think that passes for good writing today. Long, informal, discursive, insecure in its need to refute arguments not even made.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I believe in pragmatism.

Draft saved Draft deleted