1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey! Liked your piece! Could you re-do it for us?! Can't pay you, by the way!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Norrin Radd, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

They were asking him to repurpose a story and reporting he already did and was paid for. He deserved to be paid but not that much.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

How much is "not that much"?

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Seriously. If a guy in Thayer's position calls them on their bullshit, maybe they will rethink the way they do business. OK, probably not, but he had every right to take offense and give them a kick in the ass for trying that.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

He still deserves to be paid for the time it takes to repurpose it. I don't know how much, but $100 probably isn't the right answer.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I could see the $100 (or even much less) if it was a straight up reprint. But they were asking him to take a 4,300 word piece and turn it into 1,200 words. That's not a 15 minute job. They wanted him to do more work for no pay. I can see why he got upset.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

http://shouldiworkforfree.com/

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think you base your effort on the pay. If they give you $100 to repurpose it, try to do it in three or four hours. Cutting something that long shouldn't be that hard for a veteran journalist. Ideally you'd get maybe $300, which would be worth spending a whole day for.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A billion times this.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If another publication owns the rights to that story, he would probably have to write a different version rather than trim the original.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I know, but he looped in those editors so it would be their call. His version for The Atlantic would be truncated, so it could end with a note that there's a more complete version of the story elsewhere.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Not for nothing, he was obviously offended or he wouldn't have posted the conversation on his blog. No need to pretend he wasn't.

I would have been offended and I don't have a percentage of Thayer's talent or experience. Hell, I'm practically offended for him.

Let's not pretend it's shocking that a well-known publication offering peanuts (or no peanuts in this case) is that unusual.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted