1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey! Liked your piece! Could you re-do it for us?! Can't pay you, by the way!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Norrin Radd, Mar 5, 2013.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Story of my life.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

By the way, the last time Pierce got into one of his little quarterly pissing matches with another journalist or publication it was Bill Simmons, and, soon enough, he was working for him and singing cumbayah.

Sound and fury signifying nothing.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Is ass clown one word, two or hyphenated?

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't know. I'm just going to use all of them and figure I got it right once.

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Pierce is always a great read, and I consider his blog to be a separate entity.

As I've said before, Esquire magazine is ultimately MAXIM with more highbrow writing, and tailored to promote more expensive products that help one Be A Man.

6. Dash 7

Dash 7 Member

Ta-Nehisi Coate's has been posting some pretty impassioned defenses of writing for free on his blog at the Atlantic. I think he's coming from a different place than most of us, so it is interesting to see his take. Here's his most recent post:

m.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/03/i-didnt-think-about-being-ripped-off-i-thought-about-whipping-ass/273937/

A lot of the stuff he says does not apply to Thayer, but it's still interesting to see.

And fwiw, I don't think his working for the Atlantic much matters on his take.

7. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

"What I am asking you to do is to avoid an appeal to a more noble past. I lived there. It wasn't noble. It was fucked up. Like right now is fucked up. When you ask me to show solidarity with writers who aren't being paid, you should also ask yourself what solidarity white magazine writers have shown over the years with struggling black writers who could not break in. You are appalled that Nate Thayer was once offered $125,000 to write for The Atlantic, and was then offered nothing. Fair enough. Are you equally appalled that there were virtually no black writers who could have gotten the same deal?"

I honestly don't think I even need to say a word. From T-N_C himself.

Have a pleasant evening.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

This thread reminded me of something all my muso friends passed around on Facebook:

Craigslist Ad:
    We are a small & casual restaurant in downtown Vancouver and we are looking for solo musicians to play in our restaurant to promote their work and sell their CD. This is not a daily job, but only for special events which will eventually turn into a nightly event if we get positive response. More Jazz, Rock, & smooth type music, around the world and mixed cultural music. Are you interested to promote your work? Please reply back ASAP.

A Musician's Reply:
    Happy new year! I am a musician with a big house looking for a restauranteur to come to my house to promote his/her restaurant by making dinner for me and my friends. This is not a daily job, but only for special events which will eventually turn into a nightly event if we get a positive response. More fine dining & exotic meals and mixed Ethnic Fusion cuisine. Are you interested to promote your restaurant? Please reply back ASAP.

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

That's great, HC.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That is brilliant.

Draft saved Draft deleted