1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey Keith What Do You Think Of Tom Coughlin Now ?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If it was Pete Carroll in the Junction we would have never had the phrase " So when are the Junction Boys on?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The problem was, Coughlan told the players to be at these meetings at 9 a.m. They WERE 5 minutes early, and he still fined them. If he wanted them there at 8:50, he should have SAID 8:50. It smacked of 19th century factory rules, that required employees to be at work 10 minutes before the start of their shift, and to start working at that time, but not to actually get paid for that time. And if they were 9 minutes early, they got docked an hour's pay, and still had to work that 1:09.

In Maraniss' book, Lombardi employed different ways to motivate his players. Some he screamed at because he knew they could take it (Paul Hornung). Others, he would scream at, and then joke with behind closed doors (Max McGee, who he would fine for being constantly late, then give the money back to him at the end of the year). He knew some players didn't take to the screaming (Bart Starr, because Starr felt it undermined him as the on-field leader). And other players said in the book that they nearly punched him out a few times (Forrest Gregg threw a chair at him in the locker room).

It's a different era, and it would have been interesting to see how Lombardi would have been able to get along with players today. That's why people compare eras so often.

3. Troops?
    Is Tom Coughlin a general?

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

General Coughlin of East Rutherford?

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Considering no one has ever won Super Bowls as head coach of two different teams, I'd have said 50/50. :p

6. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

The problem was, Coughlan told the players to be at these meetings at 9 a.m. They WERE 5 minutes early, and he still fined them. If he wanted them there at 8:50, he should have SAID 8:50. It smacked of 19th century factory rules, that required employees to be at work 10 minutes before the start of their shift, and to start working at that time, but not to actually get paid for that time. And if they were 9 minutes early, they got docked an hour's pay, and still had to work that 1:09.
    Baron Scicluna:
    I'm posting a source that contradicts the subject matter you tackled above; I'm wondering if you have a better source to support the above claim?
    You may be right, but you owe the readers a source supporting your viewpoint.

http://tam.scout.com/a.z?s=70&p=2&c=296013

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Keith Olberman just about out the door from his 2nd gig since he called for Tom Coughlin ouster at beginning of 2007 season.
    Tom Coughlin one win away from his 2nd Super Bowl with The Giants.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I wrote in 2000 about how Coughlin was a survivor while he was still the Jags' coach.

I knew his drill-sergeant reputation and I got to see him in a little sliver of action. Absolutely firm, but fair. I figured he would win respect, and that's been borne out.

Draft saved Draft deleted