1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey Kansas City - How's Herm Look Now?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ThomsonONE, Sep 22, 2008.

1. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

That's fair. As a Jets fan, I hate the way he left, but it wasn't anything that had been done before. I just wish they would have found a better replacement.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Bringing Cowher in would be a huge move, maybe not in terms of wins and losses, but in terms of fans' commitment. Kansas City is -- and it seems odd to say this -- losing it's love affair with the Chiefs. Even when KC was losing, people were still batshit crazy about them.
    Now, the TV station is having to buy out tickets to keep games from being blacked out.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I did not like Edwards coaching style. Hated his clock management and his conservative play not to lose play calling.

There were games with the Jets when Jet offense play count was in the low 40's . You just can't win like that.

4. joe

joe Active Member

Why try for a touchdown when a field goal is within reach?

5. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

6. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Blackledge is who I was going for, and I thought that was more than a little bit obvious. Croyle hardly counts because he has not, and will never play a full season for the Chiefs, ever.

7. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Honestly I notice very little difference between him and Mangini's style, neither of which I liked. The play calling against the Patriots last week was horrible. Three shots inside the two and they run the same stretch play three times in a row and lose two yards.

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I get the same feeling, and for the Chiefs, their recent demise is couldn't be timed worse, considering the rise of Missouri and Kansas football. A vast majority of the fan base (including me) is living for Saturdays now.

And as everyone's favorite sax-playing Simpson pointed out, a vast, vast majority of the blame belongs on Carl Peterson.

He never, ever drafted a QB besides Brodie Croyle. The franchise hasn't won a playoff game since 1994 against fucking Houston. Three times since then, KC had home-field advantage, only to lose painfully in the divisional round, with the team's major flaws exposed in each loss.

Peterson never looked ahead, when guys like Roaf and Will Shields were getting long in the tooth. Like JoPo said, he kept plugging the dam, then acts indignant when the bottom fell out.

If you East Coasters want to hate on Herm, fine. Go right ahead. But the root of KC's problems fall on the black-leather-jacket clad shoulders of Carl Peterson. End. of. Fucking. Story.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's not about hating Herm - we just watche his ineptness for an extended period.

I guess you can blaim Peterson for bringing him in but under the best of circumsatnces I have a feeling he would fail.

On another note Eric Mangini seems to be developing a good case of "Jet Face" -

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

If the situation were ideal, and he were fucking up, I could understand.

But he came into is the same situation the Chiefs have always been in. Old qb leading a slightly above average team. Old qb gets knocked loopy in first game, Herm rides Larry Johnson and the last great season of an aging offensive line to a 9-7 record. Thanks to a miracle four-team parlay, KC slides into the playoffs, where it gives one of the absolute worst offensive performances of all time.

The driving force of the O-line retires simultaneously, and all KC has is another old journeyman (huard) and a brittle rookie (croyle) and an overused RB in Johnson. And you know the rest. Herm can be blamed for overusing Johnson, but the rest is alllllll King Carl.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

King Carl definitely deserves blame, but at least this shitty roster isn't being wasted on a good coach.

12. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

It won't matter much longer because come January, I have a strong suspicion that Clark Hunt will be handing Peterson his walking papers, and Herm will likely go with him.

Draft saved Draft deleted