1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey Jonesy, I'm paying your salary

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Jan 3, 2007.

1. patchs

patchs Active Member

Worth the few loonies I'm paying.
    Seeing the pic of Jones in the hospital was priceless.

2. Jones

Jones Active Member

Fifty cents an issue? Jesus. Good thing I have twelve months to save for Christmas.

Here's the great, lasting shame of my life: I don't have a subscription to Esquire. I used to get it to read Pierce, but now some Canadian dickhead is hacking away in that space, so fuck it, I figured.

And patchs, that picture cost $47,110. Hope you enjoyed it.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You can read it when I'm done, if you pay for postage...

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Jones, I had cut back on magazine subscriptions dramatically a while ago to save money--down to the New Yorker, New York Observer, The Atlantic Monthly, SI and ESPN, as well as my school's alumni magazine, which is surprisingly good.

But then I got a $4 or $5 offer for a year of Esquire, so I subscribed. About a week ago, I got the December issue (the one with the George Clooney article you wrote in 1952). The thing was beat up to hell--just shredded on the way to my mailbox--and I had read half the shit in it online. Then the VERY NEXT DAY, the January issue arrived. I realize I only paid enough per issue to feed a starving African family, but I still feel like I was ripped off with that December issue, which the library has had on microfiche for months collecting dust. Can you do something about this my friend?

EDIT: Seriously, the Mailer stuff alone--I had already read the profile online, but still--made the price of the full year more than worth it.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Where can I find the pic of Our Man Jones in the hospital?

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

7. Sly

Sly Active Member

If I didn't know and like Jones, I'd cancel if they got rid of Klosterman and Junod.

The Norman Mailer article by Junod last month was unreal.

Gotta love the discount subscriptions, though ... I just bought three years of ESPN for $9.99 on ebay. No free MP3 player, though ...

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You sure that's legit? His head doesn't look big enough and I'm not sure she's a real nurse, though she does seem to have a good bedside manner.

9. patchs

patchs Active Member

Is that US or Canadian $?
    That must have been one helluva gallstone!

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Frank and I disagree about Klosterman.
    But I discontinued my subscription a while ago. I like the magazine, but I felt cheated. They never kicked me down any swag. I subscribed for several years and all I ever got was paper wheel that had cocktail recipes on it. Kick me down a Women of Esquire calendar or deck of cards.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Who's Junod?

Draft saved Draft deleted