1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey, John. Nice surge.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jan 18, 2007.

1. http://politicalwire.com/archives/2007/01/18/mccains_support_is_crumbling.html

It's the war, stupid.

2. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

[​IMG]

Perhaps it's best for the Republicans. Democrats -- for a change -- have done a masterful job, headed by John Edwards, of framing a "McCain/Bush" Iraq policy. It would have been interesting to see how that tactic would work on other issues in a general election, but it doesn't look as if that's going to happen.

3. That "independents" number is the ballgame, if he doesn't get on the stick.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I hope McCain is picking W's pocket in that photo.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think he's feeling the surge. And W might be setting the all-time pleats record.

6. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

It's a long way until the election. But I'm glad the Dems are sticking with the "Republicans are bad!" chorus that led to two Bush electoral victories, instead of the policy talk that led to two Clinton victories.

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

You know, I almost start to think that Bush called for more soldiers to mess up McCain's campaign. McCain called for an increased troop presence, and if this doesn't work (or if people don't believe it will work) his campaign is sunk.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Gold, if this doesn't work, Romney/Guiliani/Newt/Brownback/Huckabee/Reagan/Eisenhower/Lincoln/Jesus/God will also have their campaigns sunk if they are the GOP nominee. The equation is pretty simple for 2008: if the public has <i>any</i> reason for optimism in Iraq, McCain probably wins the White House. If the public does not, the Dems will win the White House -- regardless of who they nominate.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Ch-CHING! Outstanding post, right there.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

I think your analysis is pretty good, as it usually is.

But the reason I say McCain is because he was out front on this and has made the point favoring the surge for several weeks. The other potential candidates could back away from it, but McCain can't because he was out front supporting more troops.

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

It's too early for the Democrats to fall back on the we'll-win-no-matter-who-we-nominate chatter. Despite Clinton's oddities, in 2000 the economy was in good shape, and foreign policy was not facing the kind of terror-mongering that dominated the 2004 campaign, yet because Gore was such a weak and flailing candidate, Bush was able to do just enough to win.

12. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Pointing out the likely failure of the Iraq policy that McCain supports is a "Republicans are bad" chorus?

The 2000 Democratic nominee was quite eager to talk about policy -- in fact, he was often accused of being too much about policy -- but America decided that he was unfit to be president because the other guy was more fun to have a beer with.

Draft saved Draft deleted