1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey, Fishwrapper! Here Fishy, Fishy, Fishy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You always said when Macy's leaves, newspapers are screwed.

It's halfway there:

http://newsosaur.blogspot.com/2009/07/macys-halved-newspaper-spend-since-05.html

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

don't know about Macy's but in my neck of the woods Dillards is still committed to newspaper advertising.
    When they leave, most of the papers in the South are screwed.

3. In Pennsylvania and some neighboring regions, the Boscov's department store bankruptcy last year was a major issue. Boscov's typically had multiple full-page ads in many Sunday editions.
    And, while maybe I missed this in other postings, what about car dealer advertising everywhere?

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This tumble has long been penciled.
    Robinson's. May Co. Bullocks. Broadway. Bullocks. Robinson's May. And now, Macy's.
    The time is here...or nearing. It is the end result of the Wal-Mart Effect. Federated Department Stores Inc., and malls across the country feel the punch (no pinch here) of Americans willing to sacrifice quality for a northern-Chinese-imported "rollback."
    I read a piece in Kiplinger's a few months back. It taled the loss of middle-class retail, much like the American socio-economic class structure. The piece hypothesized that soon there will be only discount retailers and high-end boutiques with nothing in the middle.
    So, the losers? Obviously, us. We lose choice.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

In D.C. yesterday. Unless I missed a supplement, the SUNDAY Post sports section was eight pages. It had three ads, all small and contained on one page (I may have missed one elsewhere but the point remains - small section, way too few ads to support the product).

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Seems as if the Saturday WaPo sports section is often larger than the Sunday section -- at least lately.

7. fishwrapper

The long staple of some Sports sections -- automoblie advertising (mentioned above) -- has nearly vaniashed, too. Ask NASCAR how this is going...

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Moddy, I read WaPo on Press Display and I swear the section is larger most weeks. I wonder if 4th of July played a part in this? Our section was 8 Sunday too, and we're usually 10-12 on most Sundays.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I love this thread title.

But yeah, we're fucked.

10. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I remember when Ed Moss and Doug Hanes at the Daily News told the newsroom how mall ads and car dealer ads were going to be the salvation of newspapers, at least the Los Angeles Newspaper Group. I knew then the Daily News was doomed. First classified ads disappeared. Next is the mall and department store ads. Now that car dealerships across the country are shutting down, they will be the next to go, and so will newspapers.

11. fishwrapper

Well, it's not all doom. Advertising budgets will return.
    Depends if news organizations are relevant when that time comes.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The thread title made me think of this:

Draft saved Draft deleted