1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey Fatties

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, May 31, 2007.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I can't really eat carbs. My body is unable to process them into energy. They just go into a blood sugar spike and then it plummets and I get sick. I've known it for awhile, but I didn't have the self-control to quit eating pasta. I decided this week to quit eating them. Four days in, and I know why I never wanted to quit eating pasta before. I'm bitchy, and I want pasta more now than I ever have before. I feel the pain of those who can't eat certain foods or more than so many calories a day.

2. KG

KG Active Member

spup I'm like that with carbs and sweets. I get a momentary "rush" of sorts from it but then I just drop like the bottom falling out of the sky. I don't really get sick but I drop to the point of really feeling like I need hours of sleep.

3. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Is it me, or does it seem like a lot of these conditions have come to the fore-front over the last 15-20 years or so? If so, I wonder why?

4. KG

KG Active Member

Phila it's all the damn hormones and antibiotics and crap shot into our meat and how everything is processed to last for a freaking lifetime. Homemade breads and noodles and homegrown carby vegi's don't make me feel as bad as the store bought kind. It's a conspiracy don't ya know.

5. KG

KG Active Member

I meant shot into our meats while they are still living animals.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

All the hormones and shit are why I became a mostly vegetarian, and the dairy I eat is organic, specifically without hormones. I can't fathom that that stuff is healthy for us.

7. Jones

Jones Active Member

Meat is my favorite animal.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

The catalogs and arguments remind me of another group of people: Baby Boomers!

Baby Boomers are creating the niche markets for things like oversized products, plastic surgery, anti-aging products, ginormous SUVs, etc.

They're driving up the costs of health care, too. And let's not forget how they're going to deplete Social Security.

The finger can be pointed at many groups, not just the obese. Is it a problem? Yeah. But not the only one.

9. KG

KG Active Member

I don't eat the media center food because it's all so bad and all opposite of what I need for energy. If they put out veggies I'll get some of those but otherwise I'd rather eat something somewhat healthy before I go and then eat something good afterwards than have that stuff zonk me out at the worst time. Don't get me wrong, I think the gesture of having meals brought in is very good, but most of it is so greasy that I just can't eat it.

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Blood sugar disorders are nothing new, Phila. I'm genetically predisposed to mine. I've had family members die from blood sugar disorders.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, agriculture has become so mass-produced and efficient that restaurants and grocery stores can sell much bigger portions for the same price. Plus, people eat out a lot more than they used to, since it's not much more expensive than groceries and is generally more fun food, and also because we are on the go a lot more, there are way fewer stay-at-home parents to fix balanced meals, the marketing machine of the fast-food industry...well, actually, a bunch of sociological and economic reasons.

Plus, with all our medical advances, people are living longer, which gives them more of a chance of getting illnesses.

Draft saved Draft deleted