1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey Fatties

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, May 31, 2007.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

All I can say is, with as fragile and occasionally dangerous as this world is, putting so much self-esteem into appearance is a foolhardy thing, where a simple scar sends self-esteem tumbling in a heap. Of course, there's an industry catering to that aspect (the Nip/Tuck folks) that is as useless in the grand scheme as Hostess is.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The only answer is meth.

Lots and lots of meth.

You'll be skinny, and after a while, you'll have no teeth to chew food.

Problem solved! ;)

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I definitely don't qualify, but I clicked on it to see if there was any of this.

4. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Why do I care? Because the medical conditions related to obesity are driving up health insurance costs. Because my mom is over-weight and complains about lack of energy and not being able to sleep well. Because I don't want to see her develop diabetes or heart problems. Because I used to be a fat kid in high school (5'9"/220 lbs/22.4% body fat back in HS) & thankfully I've been able to remake myself. That's why.

I don't mean to come off sounding like an asshole, and I don't want to get into a pissing match, this is just me responding. I don't expect everyone to get themselves into the shape of models and/or pro athletes. I don't slam the obese since I was in the same camp not too long ago. It's just hard for me to understand why some people don't have the will to change themselves.

5. KG

KG Active Member

Me too and I spend at least seven hours at the gym each week.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It's not nearly as cut and dried as PhilaYank wants to make it. Shit if I have a bad day and need some chocolate I'll gain weight b/c it'll put me over my calories for the day. 1200 calories a day takes a lot more willpower than the normal human has.

7. KG

KG Active Member

I caved yesterday because I'm dealing with something totally insane right now and I ate a pack of Pop Rocks. I actually gave myself a big guilt trip over Pop Rocks.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

I gained 3 pounds typing this sentence.

9. chazp

chazp Active Member

Guilty as well.

10. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

To all: I didn't mean to sound like the issue is cut-and-dry, black-and-white. This, like every other major issue, has A LOT of gray area, and I don't think of myself as one of the posters here that enjoys to stir the pot with assinine comments. When I'm wrong or say something stupid, I'll fess up to it and move on. Please accept my apologies.

11. KG

KG Active Member

I gained two reading it.

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

This user is currently gaining weight.

Draft saved Draft deleted