1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey Everybody

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Jun 17, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

A couple weeks before my college graduation, I went with my department chair, a staff member, two guest speakers and a friend to the local bar. I was the only one not carded, and it had nothing to do with my looks -- I was there way too often. It was a fine impression, indeed.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

There's a local bar I go to pretty often and they know me well enough there since I've been going there since I was 18 (little to their knowlege at the time).

Anyway, I rarely get carded there. There was a stretch of two years I don't think I got carded once. When I finally did get carded, I kind of laughed at the kid and said, "You're new here, aren't you?" (Yes, I was being a dick, but it was really just a joke.)

Now, even though I haven't reached 30 yet, I just take it as a compliment.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Great. Now I've got that song stuck in my head.

"...staring down the barrel of a 45"

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

When I was in college, I went with my (over 21) roommate to the liquor store across the street a few times. Then, I just went by myself, figuring they knew me and I wouldn't get carded, which I wasn't.

Then the fall semester started after I'd been there all summer and they had big signs saying "DO NOT TAKE BEER FROM THE COOLER UNLESS YOU ARE 21 AND CAN PROVE IT." I still wasn't 21, but I took my Bud longnecks to the counter anyway.

Me: "Do you need to see my ID?"

Clerk: "Oh, no, I know you--those signs are just for the incoming freshmen."

I didn't turn 21 until 3 weeks before I graduated.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

We were visiting a place on Rush Street one time when I was in my 30s. The door guy needed to see photo ID. That's when I figured Rush Street wasn't for me any more and started spending my drinking money in other parts of Chicago among adults.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Yep, I was going there, too. First thing I did was look at the time stamp, then started planning a SportsJournalists.com intervention for Luggy.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

People never know whether to card me.
    I'm on 3-foot-6, which makes me seem young, but I have beard to my waist.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Hi Dr. Nick!

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I wonder what he's created this time.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

This thread really needs Angola's input.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Been carded at 34 -- both in Seattle and down home. I can think of worse fates.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I didn't get carded at one place in Seattle on Friday and I was pissed. It was a day after my birthday and I didn't even get to show my ID.

Draft saved Draft deleted