1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey Cam It's Peter King...... Click

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 1, 2011.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What you're not accounting for, Shockey, are the number of people who both read him and mock him. Sure, I mock him and think he's a self-absorbed douche and one of the most criminally unaware people on the planet. But he still gives me info -- NUGGETS!! -- that I might not be able to get anywhere else. He's obviously good at his job. He'd just be better, IMO, if he relaxed with the garbage.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Oh, please. King is the top read on si.com. King's non-football musings are for show, King himself has termed that stuff 'crap' in interviews. But I'm sure King wrings his hands over it privately to Bettis on the set.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe King is the Larry David of pro football columnists. He sees humor in everyday occurrences.

Either he is clueless to how some of his stuff comes across or he is a genius, thinking on a higher plain.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

i understand your take completely, rs. and you're clearly not alone in your sentiments. but for very person in agreement, there are an infinite number of 'kingettes' who eat up what you and i ignore and mock,

many here may think pk's being a self-absorbed douche and, 'who the eff cares?' after reading the cam tweet. however, for every fan who may not give a spit about this kind of thing, or think pk's a douche for even mentioning it, there are an incredible number of his followers cheering on peter for slapping around this hot-shot rookie who hasn't proven a thing yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. JackReacher

Hard to argue that.

6. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Agree with both of your posts.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

and boom, pk is fully aware how many of his peers mock many of his MMQB 'crap.' but he knows his audience; he's not writing the 'shtick' or 'crap' for his peers. he's writing 'em for his incredible following.

maybe it hurts to admit it, but pk isn't writing MMQB for his fellow nfl reporters -- though he knows fully how we eat it up. he writes this, started writing MMQB, 'cause si.com readers love it; some love it all. some love only the football and ignore the dreck (which is easy to do and what his critics should learn to do). and, believe it or not, there are non-football or fringe fans who like it for all the 'nonsense.'

now, the actual stories pk writes/reports for the magazine? yeah, he writes those with his peers and subjects in mind. hey, when i covered the nfl, i surely tried to do so in an entertaining and informative way for the readers. but most of all, in terms of content, i was writing for my subjects, peers and competitors.

'cause it's their respect and acknowledgment that is most important. satisfy them and you rested assured the readers were coming along, too. i prided myself on giving them better/more information than my competitors. the writing, too, was for them.

i mean, all compliments from fans were welcomed. criticisms, too. but compliments/criticisms from peers and subjects were always more meaningful.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know I've posted this before, but I read somewhere that MMQB is the most-read story on SI.com every week and it gets more clicks in a typical week than the No. 2 through No. 10 items combined.

Damn right they're not messing with it.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

My biggest problem with King is that he is an NFL toady. As example he did a puff piece a few months ago on Roger Goodell in SI that was shamefully one sided. Perhaps that is why he has the access he does.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

by the way, ryan, THESE are the discussions i most appreciate 'round here. the 'barroom/talk-radio arguments' have their place but have no staying power; they do nothing to advance our appreciation of the craft of reporting/writing, nothing to improve or teach us.

SportsJournalists.com at its best, aside from those threads in 'anything goes' in which many members i consider friends (probably unbeknownst to them) rally to support each other, in bad times and good...

my apologies for the threadjack. i tend to get more reflective and sentimental after 3 p.m.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I get mad when he writes things like, "Hey, my daughter got a job with the Seahawks and I had nothing to do with it. She didn't even tell me she was applying!"

Give me a fucking break.

12. JackReacher

I still think it's been 3 years since you've read MMQB, Mizzou.

Draft saved Draft deleted