1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey Cam It's Peter King...... Click

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know... When a guy comes in with all the controversy that Newton has, I think it's interesting that he won't talk to the national media.

I'll bet it's been awhile since a NFL rookie blew off SI/King. I think King was letting his readers/followers know more than whining, although, I'd bet the whining will be in Tuesday's version of his TC blog por or the follow to MMQB.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Hey, I'll witness. I think all the stuff that's been published about him is probably valid - I did say he has a long history of non-accountability. If I were him, I wouldn't want to talk to the media either. I get that NFL players are required to be accessible, but it's an extremely loosely enforced requirement (see: Patriots offensive line). He doesn't need the media, and he knows it.

3. Mizzougrad96

I think the NFL rule is that each player has to be available to the media once a week. It's not enforced at all though. The PR types say, "Well, he's available, but we can't force him to talk."

Most quarterbacks have, at a minimum, once a week press conferences and then they're available after the game.

4. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Peter is a good guy who assumes his readers are buddies who want to know every detail of his life, that they will find his travails with Cam Newton or subpar hotel coffee interesting, or relatable. This assumption is horribly, comically misguided, as "Kissing Suzy Kolber" proves every Monday.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Makes sense but to others it comes off as self absorbed.

6. Mizzougrad96

Maybe a little... King is self-absorbed, there's no question about that. The Starwood member references and coffee references in his column are a joke, but if you're a NFL fan, MMQB is required reading. There's so much good stuff in there every week and he is a good guy.

If Newton refuses to talk to the local media, it's worthy of a note. If he refuses to talk to the national media, it's worthy of a note as well. Now, I'll go see if he led off today's story with it. If he did, I would agree that would be a bit much...

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

If Newton refuses to talk to all national media, it is worthy of a note.
    If Newton refused to talk to all local media, it is worthy of a note.

If Newton stiffs Peter King because he believes he is an asshole that screwed him over, that isn't worthy of a note.

PK posted that tweet because it was a "holy shit, Cam Newton doesn't understand who I am" note. It was about Peter and only Peter.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

There are fewer and fewer NUGGETS in PK's MMQB column each week. A few seasons ago? Tons of good stuff. Now? Still some good stuff, but not nearly as much.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

This.

10. Mizzougrad96

If you look at the column during the season, it's pretty amazing the number of people from different teams he has talked to before the column runs. I don't know if he still does it since he works the Sunday night game for NBC, but for a long, long time, he was at a game Sunday and was almost always at the MNF game as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Jesus. When's the last time you read one of his columns? Dude can't shut the fuck up about being at 30 ROCK!!! watching football for 12 hours with Jerome Bettis!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. shockey

shockey Active Member

as peter would say, 'two things strike me as interesting about this discussion: 1) as someone noted earlier, it's always enlightening to see how much venom peter, of all people, generates from some 'round here. 'cause those who know peter understand that the 'self-absorbed a--hole' many have decided he is actually couldn't be more the opposite, considering how popular MMQB has become.

AND

2) those who go to town mocking him are clearly in the minority, given how popular it has become combined with how respected peter is by an overwhelming majority of his peers and by the people he reports on. to pounce on a throwaway tweet on a douche like cam newton is a riot. rest assured, far more people read the item and thought, 'yeah, just as i thought, this kid is a douchebag with no idea how to handle himself in the adult world,' than thought, 'man, peter king is a douchebag; who gives a crap?'

'cause ya know what? as sick as it may be, but an incredible amount of his readers and football fans in general DO give a crap. yup, it's absolutely sick -- but true -- that nfl fans eat this stuff up. so why should/would pk or his bosses even THINK about tinkering much with what's clearly not broken? ??? ??? ???

Draft saved Draft deleted