1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey Bruce fans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by finishthehat, Apr 8, 2009.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Glad you guys got a great show last night. I had class so I couldn't make it. Even if I didn't have class, fatherhood has caused me to cut back on how much I travel to see Bruce so I wouldn't have made my first trip to Nassau Collesium for a concert anyway. The two shows in Philly last week were tremendous.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I was hoping to go to the Toronto show on Thursday night but the team I work for is still in the playoffs and that's a travel day for us.

I'm jealous of all of you!

3. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

OK SportsJournalists.com Springsteen mafia, I think we can all agree to be jealous of each other each time we go to a show. After that show Saturday night in Greensboro, I'm sitting here planning how I can make another one on this leg, or could I possibly go to Europe to see him?

Geez, it just blows you away when you see the full band how incredibly tight and searing they are. Sat. night's guitar solos were astonishing. It was like Bruce and Nils were feeding off each other and competing at the same time. And Steve is playing with new vigor on this tour, his work was amazing as well. We had Jay on drums for about three quarters of the show and he can definitely kick it right up there with his old man. It's a different, wilder, more loose style but he's going to surpass him someday you can just see. Bruce was so impressed by him, he kept letting him have a bunch of solos.

The only thing I thought we missed Sat. was "Incident" because I've never seen it but I wasn't counting on it either. Got Thunder Road, my first, last, always song (witness screenname) and it was a good version with band kinda in background and just Bruce and harmonica. I would have liked to have seen a bit more of the new stuff but Outlaw Pete is really good live and almost like a rock opera, if only a tiny bit too long. I also would have rather had Dancing in the Dark than Glory Days but we did get the extra song on the encore and even a little of Louie, Louie on the end for frosting.

I disagree that it's not fun to see Bruce and Co. play the covers. Especially when they're crazy obscure like 7th Son and Hang on Sloopy Saturday night. That sign for 7th Son was like a 5-inch piece of paper that Bruce found a little kid holding. It's cool to see something different. And to get Human Touch was amazing too. I wish he'd do more from that period.

Bruce was incredibly loose and soooo into the crowd, which was raucous from the jump. It's a crappy old arena with no luxury boxes, just the kind he likes to play. I think it reminds him of the old days. Plus, it was a Saturday night and no Patty with him! Which usually means he flirts and plays with the crowd more.

All in all, well worth the travel money to NC and got to see my brother and family as a bonus. Oh the memories!

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Reports from my similarly obsessed friends were that it was a great show last night.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Oh, it's on, comic book boy!

The Stickman Brigade will come for you!

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

nice to see others enjoyed last night's show as much as byh and i did. amazing how 30 years later, bruce can still overwhelm me like he does. no entertainer is a sure thing like he is.

now i'm more eager than ever to try to land a handicapped ticket for one of the meadowlands shows, knowing he'll play a couple of faves he didn't last night. my prob: defending the cost of another ticket to mrs. shockey in these furloughed times.

dunno if i can pull that one off. sigh. :-\ :-\

anyone who can see him at any time should go for it. you won't be sorry.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

how does he do it? last night in viginia, night after blowing the roof off nassau coliseum:

http://backstreets.com/setlists.html

8. Magic In The Night

So into the Greensboro show, I let the SO talk me into another one Friday night in Happy Valley. Will be back with a full report. Still trying to get a hotel room and it'll be a 6 1/2 hour drive but hey, it's Bruce!

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Selena Roberts reports he started taking steroids during the Human Touch/Lucky Town sessions. [/crossthreading]

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Ha! Halfway through this thread, I thought, "These guys are as nuts for this Springsteen character as I am for Pearl Jam."

And then there ya go. :)

At any rate, I do believe there ARE similarities between these two bands, and their fanbases.

The fact that "Growin' Up" was one of the first songs a too-young-to-drive Ed Vedder learned to play on the guitar only cements the connection, I think.

11. Magic In The Night

Bruce and Eddie doing Better Man together at Vote For Change is pretty good too!

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

will any of my SportsJournalists.com bruce brothers be with me at contintental airlines arena tonight? way psyched for it be be the height of my holiday weekend! brooooce!! 8) 8) 8)

Draft saved Draft deleted