1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey Borat....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flip Wilson, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's what I recall. Was that when the Ali G. show was on HBO or something?

2. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Yes - second season, I believe.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He was on Stern a few years ago not in character. He was also on the Daily Show about two years ago as himself...

4. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Come on, this is funny:

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Cohen is very funny.

But he just needs to step out of character when he's not being filmed. It's annoying as hell when an actor refuses to stop acting. That's my only problem with him, Will Ferrel, Robin Williams, etc. Be human once in a while and stop being a skit.

Others have pointed out a few times when he's been something other than a skit, but I haven't seen/heard them. All I see is a never-ending skit.

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

A friend of mind was in London and a girl she met had Cohen as her trip leader to Israel years and years back. Now that must've been a fun trip.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I feared for Harry Smith on The Early Show today when Borat tackled him. Harry's about 60, and maybe a little too old to accept Borat's invitation to his hotel to "Wrestle naked, get drunk and shoot goats from the window."

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I have never seen The Ali G show and am now being "introduced" to Borat via commercials and his Letterman appearance.

HBO, not surprisingly, is running a boatload of Ali G. episodes this week ... so should I watch? If so, any in particular to recommend?

9. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

This line from Time this week:

"Any normal person over 35 is going to find Borat horrifying."

That would explain why I think he's not funny. Just more idiocy.

10. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Watch the one where he sings "Throw the Jew Down the Well."
    Also, the one where Bruno (his gay Austrian fashion designer) visits Alabama.

11. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

The one where Bruno meets with students on spring break...really you can't go wrong with any particular one...

12. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

As one of my fellow Sports Journalists members said today, "But (the actor being Borat) just needs to step out of character when he's not being filmed. It's annoying as hell when an actor refuses to stop acting. That's my only problem with him, Will Ferrel, Robin Williams, etc. Be human once in a while and stop being a skit."

To that I say Amen!! When these guys are being interviewed as themselves, they should be *themselves* and stop being "on" all the time. That's the one big thing that sends me up a wall with comics like Williams, Jim Carrey, Ferrell, etc.

Chevy Chase is the comic who got me started on this rant of hating it when comics just had to keep "performing" during a normal interview. I still don't like him that much, but he is getting a lot of promo time for a dramatic role on tonight's "Law & Order." I will have to set the VCR. Covering a game tonight.

Draft saved Draft deleted