1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey Birdscribe?! Trouble in LPGA land?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Top drivers are around 290. Average.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Uhhh ... you're both wrong. Here are this week's top-20:

1 Yani Tseng 273.0 54
    2 Brittany Lincicome 272.9 37
    3 Vicky Hurst 271.4 40
    4 Suzann Pettersen 271.2 49
    5 Jee Young Lee 270.3 52
    6 Michelle Wie 270.1 43
    7 Sophie Gustafson 268.5 32
    8 Karen Stupples 266.8 32
    9 Karin Sjodin 266.6 32
    10 Brittany Lang 266.0 54
    11 Angela Stanford 265.5 43
    12 Pat Hurst 264.3 42
    13 Shanshan Feng 263.3 41
    14 Cristie Kerr 263.1 54
    15 Maria Hjorth 262.6 22
    T16 Lorena Ochoa 262.2 39
    T16 Se Ri Pak 262.2 47
    18 Helen Alfredsson 261.2 44
    19 Wendy Doolan 260.7 33
    T20 Inbee Park 260.3 44
    T20 Anna Rawson 260.3 28

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

Those are 5-wood distances on the PGA Tour.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And driver and THEN a 7-iron distances for most of us.
    Men are stronger than women. They will hit it longer than women. I don't think anybody goes to a women's event expecting to see the same things they see when they go to a men's event.
    It doesn't take away from the fact that it is high-caliber golf. No, it isn't men's golf. It isn't supposed to be.

5. But it is good golf.

At it may be Bivens' last go-round.
    Sports Business Weekley or some sort (apologies) is reporting the Tour is in negotiations to buy out the remianing two years of Bivens' contract ($500,00 per year).

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I would take that much to walk away right now.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Have to agree. Wie and Creamer are very attractive.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And it's done ...

http://www.golfweek.com/protours/lpga/story/bivens-buyout-news-070909

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Kind of off topic, but just wanted to offer big ups for Jean Reynolds, who is tied for third after the first round. I've got a soft spot for all of the Futures players, mostly because of their stop here in town. Reynolds didn't win her stop here, but she fired the low Sunday round and was the only person to make a huge move.

I should also add that you'd be wise to keep an eye on Vicky Hurst. I'd bet dollars to donuts she gets and LPGA victory before Ms. Wie-sy does.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

I mentioned Vicky in the last Wie thread we had, a couple of weeks ago, and I agree with you. Five wins in 14 Futures events last year - she's a player.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Typical sniggering fratboy compensating for a teenie or limp wienie by ripping on women's sports.

If you don't like it, fine, don't watch. If you really feel compelled to explain why, fine.

But the fucking fratboy snarkmongers who go on and on and on and on and on about why they hate it are revealing something: Teenie weenie.

It really won't make your dick any smaller if women are paid for playing a professional sport. It really won't. If your dick is shriveling and your balls curdling up in your bag, there have to be other reasons.

Those of us with fully-operative equipment generally don't worry about it very much. ::) ::)

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well put, Starman. Not the way I would have approached it, but the point is driven home just the same.

And if Jim Rome really said that, I can't say I'm surprised. But Mr. Rome ought to know that Jamie Farr is 100 times the man Rome ever will be.

Draft saved Draft deleted