1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey AP, eat a unhusked corn cob out of my ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bubbler, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

... ass.

Our satellite wire server died today, so we needed to pull everything -- including agate -- off AP Exchange. Worried as hell about baseball boxes, I looked at last night's late boxes to check the tab situation.

On their basic, old school boxes, everything looked relatively kosher, the late boxes had semi-colons where the tabs should be, which would make it a relatively easy find-and-replace once placed in our front end system.

That's what I was expecting as I worked the desk tonight ... until the deadline boxes started rolling in via Exchange.

Some had the semi-colon tabs, such as the Pirates-Braves box, most didn't, making it a royal chore to form up even one box score. It was so random as to be insane.

Also, the AP didn't bother to move the basic box on several games at all, moving the expanded and wide versions in every case, both of those boxes are too wide for our page width, but not the old school basic one. So I had no Angels-Rays, White Sox-Tigers, etc., to run in the paper. I gerrymandered the White Sox box in via the expanded version, but it was a pain in the ass.

Of course, they break their asses getting the Yankees-Red Sox and Mets-Phillies old school versions out. Had those in about two seconds ... sans semi-colon tabs of course.

Consistency. That's all I ask. Why the FUCK can't the AP get it through their thick-ass skulls that their inconsistency can have a profound effect on how their members disseminate their copy?

Fuck you AP. Fuck you with a unhusked corn cob.

(Move this to journalism only if you will mods. I'm too pissed right now to give a good god damn where this ended up.)

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This happened to me a few years back. AP satellite got struck by lightning on Memorial Day weekend. Good luck getting a tech to come out and fix something on Memorial Day weekend.

Had to take all the content off the website and recode it. Full boxes were the worst, too many tabs to code. In hindsight, would have gone with just linescores. We survived because of a lot of day games on Sunday and the holiday and being in the Pacific Time Zone gave us extra time to code stuff. No way would I have tried to do all that on deadline. I timed coding one boxscore correctly and it took me like 20 minutes.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

AP Exchange is a piece of shit. Worst user interface ever.

4. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Getting photos off it is a chore. If I log in, type something to search and hit enter, I just get an error message. P.O.S.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

Tonight was the closest I've come to getting violent in the newsroom than I have since my early days in the biz.

I was in a Carlos Zambrano state of mind ... something was going to get its ass beat. As it turned out, all I did was wad up today's paper and wing it against one of our windows ... mild really.

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

AP Exchange sucks ass sweat. That is all.

7. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

We've had trouble with the box scores lately, too. The other day we had to leave out the Mets-Pirates (big deal around here) plus the Yanks-Sox. There were others we missed, too, but those were the big ones.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Welcome to my world, Bubbler.

We only get AP copy through that lame-ass AP Exchange web site, which locks up any time more than three newspapers are using it at once. In other words, all the time.

I did baseball page tonight, too, and you're right. Every game after the Phillies-Mets was either wide box format or expanded box format, which at best means shortening everyone's name to make it fit. At worst, it means gerryrigging the expanded box, as you alluded to.

When you work with AP Exchange every night, it's real easy to understand why some newspapers are looking to team up on state and regional news and dump AP, which has the gall to treat its customers like scum of the earth every night, yet still ask for big-time increases in fees/dues.

I hope AP chokes on your unhusked corn cob.

9. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Active Member

Agreed. AP Exchange always locks up on me at the absolute worst time.

It's a really frustrating site.

10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

But it's TEH FUTURES OF APEE!

11. yourap was 10 times better to use than ap exchange. what a waste of money spent on a useless "upgrade."

12. mb

mb Active Member

You can get an unhusked corn cob in your ass?

Wow.

Draft saved Draft deleted