1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey Ad Builders!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Your ads can't be bigger than page! You stupid fucks! And, they shouldn't be taller than or overlap the fucking folio.

Anyone else have this problem - every fucking night they desk!?

This drives me insane!

I either have to a) get someone in pre-press to rejig the ad or do something with the folio or b) have squish my folio between the side of the page and the ad.

Cripes!

Rant over.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

At well-run papers, they block out 1/4" of white space at the top of the page for the folio, or else they construct 3-column-wide folios to use if the ad absolutely must go to the top of the page.

I don't work at one of these papers, so I have to fix it myself every fucking night, too.

3. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I don't have that problem. I ave the same problem a lot of us have: On a dead Monday with absolutely no sports going on, they give me like 5 wide open pages, but on a Friday night or Saturday night, they like to squeeze 40 ads on three pages and give us no room for copy.

4. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I'm with you, Joe.... the ads usually fit the page, but they like to spoil me with lots of space on the slowest of days and give me zip on the important nights.

5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Here too.

The weekend before Christmas. One, just ONE, of the roughly six major teams we cover has a home game. All others, including the university, are gone home for holidays. Today, I have SIX PAGES plus two agate to fill for tomorrow's issue. Of those six, two have the too big ads on them.

6. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

At my first paper, we used to have to put the ads on pages ourselves. I'd squeeze them as needed to get things to fit nicely.

And I NEVER got caught!

7. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

We're told to shrink the ads proportionally a couple pica if need be.

8. jmm1412

jmm1412 Member

Our style is not to run folios on pages that have ads that go to the top of the page. Even if it's just a 1-column ad. If you don't have 6 columns of newshole across the top of the page, no folio.

Draft saved Draft deleted