1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

He's out of the Presidential race before he begins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Apr 5, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

See ya!

WASHINGTON (AP) — Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, who is mulling a presidential bid, said his “word choice was poor” when he equated bilingual education with “the language of living in a ghetto.”
    In a video statement read in Spanish, subtitled in English and posted on YouTube Wednesday, the Georgia Republican said he was not attacking the Spanish language.
    “I made some comments that I recognize caused a bad feeling within the Latino community. My word choice was poor but my point was simply this: In the United States it is important to speak the English language well in order to advance and have success,” he said.
    Advocating intensive English-language education “is an expression of support for Latinos, not an attack on their language,” Gingrich said. “I have never believed that Spanish is a language of people of low incomes, nor a language without beauty.”
    Gingrich made the original comments Saturday in a speech to the National Federation of Republican Women. “The American people believe English should be the official language of the government. ... We should replace bilingual education with immersion in English so people learn the common language of the country and they learn the language of prosperity, not the language of living in a ghetto,” Gingrich told the women’s group.
    The comments sparked a backlash within the Latino community, but the YouTube statement was a “step in the right direction,” said Peter Zamora, the regional counsel for the Los Angeles-based Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund.
    The video shows Gingrich is “trying to remedy the negative effects of the fallout from his statement, which really generated a lot of negative impressions, especially in the Latino community,” Zamora said. “It’s a definite shift from this weekend.”
    In the past, Gingrich has supported making English the nation’s official language. He’s also said all American children should learn English and that other languages should be secondary in schools.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Like he ever would have come close to GOP nomination to begin with.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Now he can write a book on the premise, "What would have happeneded if I'd won the presidency?"

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

For a supposedly smart guy, he sure is dumb.

5. Aw, damn.
    I was counting on him to lighten things up.

6. boots

boots New Member

In layman's terms, HE FUCKED UP!

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Irony alert!

“I made some comments that I recognize caused a bad feeling within the Latino community. My word choice was poor but my point was simply this: In the United States it is important to speak the English language well in order to advance and have success,” he said.

8. Sometimes, it's best just to go with the classics:

[​IMG]

9. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Exactly. This was as predictable as sunrise.

Draft saved Draft deleted