1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

He's NOT an Erin Andrews fan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Jul 6, 2012.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

It takes years to be a rock-solid TV sports anchor/host. You need command, poise and credibility.

Perhaps, for me, it was a ghost I chased for years. Every time, for the first 4 or 5 years you anchor with any regularity, that you think you have *it*... you still have a long way to go. Most anchors take 8-10 years just to develop their authoritative "voice".

Very very few on ESPN are anchors at 24 or 25. One of them was Jason Jackson, he of the "Montreal Maple Leafs" infamy.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I've often quoted a TV exec I used to work for....

"You have to have 'it' to make a good TV anchor. In TV, 'it' is defined as warm authority tempered by wit."

I think he pretty much nails it.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I think Andrews has the confidence and credibility (though many might disagree with latter), but I'm not sure she has the voice to be a great host. I think she can be decent, but not top-notch.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I like that. I've also heard it described as "relaxed intensity," which is good.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I just want you to know that I love you for this.

Xoxoxoxo

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I love you, too, man. :-*

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Very different from the written word. Get 10 columnists of similar age and experience to submit their top work and we could all probably pick out the top 2.

Get 10 TV anchors of similar age and experience to submit their top work. It's a crapshoot.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

This... sooner or later, the volume will be turned on and that Rachael Ray nails-on-a-chalkboard screech will send people for the remote.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Are there bad ones? I'm unaware such things exist.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, neither have I, but I still wouldn't dis Andrews like that.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I'm sure you always appreciate when a female commentator's opinion is dismissed with, "Aw, she just hasn't been laid in a long time."

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for playing, Smash, but the correct answer is, "Aw, she hasn't had anyone dine at the Y in a long time."

Draft saved Draft deleted