1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

He's NOT an Erin Andrews fan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Jul 6, 2012.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Hoffarth responds via Romanesco:

http://jimromenesko.com/2012/07/06/the-harshest-critique-of-erin-andrews-ive-ever-read/?tw_p=twt

Someone take this guy's shovel away before he digs himself any deeper.

To sum up: Wise old guys agree with him, younger very stupid/inexperienced hacks disagree with him. (There is no category for old hacks or young talents. Perhaps that is coming in another column.) And he did this to defend the honor of experienced women in sports media who are dismayed that young women ask about being sideline reporter jobs, not pxp or analyst jobs.

As one of the experienced women in sports media, may I just say this: If Erin's success brings more women into the field, good for her, and good for us. None of us fought to be here just so we can tell others how to manage their careers. Work hard, have integrity, and be good at what you do. Seems to me Erin has succeeded at all of those things. As far as I can tell, her only crimes are a)being extremely cute, and b)making a lot more money than most of the other folks working the games. Again: good for her.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Hate to threadjack, but holy shit is right. I wonder why?

3. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Well, at least she's always got X-Factor judging & Adam Sandler's career advise to fall back on at FOX... http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1246621-erin-andrews-interested-in-x-factor-gig-took-career-advice-from-adam-sandler

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I know, I know, it's not about us.

But really: Don't you read the end of that and get the idea that Mr. Hoffarth has visited this thread? ;)

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Ugh, I have to read it all the way to the end??

(Actually, this story is ALL about us, who else would really care??)

6. jr/shotglass

I don't want you to have to do that. Just last 2-3 grafs.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Just kidding, I did read it (all the way to the end) trying unsuccessfully to locate a singular nugget of redeeming commentary. Is he responding to this thread? Sounds like he got it from all corners (otherwise why bother explaining) and can't believe everyone else isn't on board.

The whole piece is a tribute to 'we are not the story.' People who like Erin can watch Erin. People who don't like Erin can watch something else.

Meanwhile, the guy brags about tweeting pics and links about her to collect more followers? I guess she must be doing something right if she attracts more followers to you than you can attract on your own.

8. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

His criticism is pretty harsh, but she is a public figure, so she's fair game, IMO. One problem I have with the criticism of Andrews is that if you don't like her (particularly if you're a woman), it's because you're jealous. OK, she's much prettier, richer and more successful than I am (and I'm pretty sure some of those things are connected), but I also don't find her very riveting or particularly good at what she does, atleast not to the point that merits her success. If that makes me jealous, so be it, but I have trouble drumming up much sympathy because this guy was "mean" to her.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

So, if you're hot, then people can say whatever they want to about you, in the most snarky and accusatory ways possible?

10. jr/shotglass

Hey, I've always risen above it.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Zag,

You're wrong on this one. The dislike of Erin Andrews is not equal to the dislike of Chris Berman or Stuart Scott -- as far as I can tell. And, admittedly, I can't watch a ton of ESPN because this country doesn't get it.

Andrews does not try to "smother" or "take over" a broadcast like Berman or Scott. For one thing, it's borderline impossible for a sideline reporter to do that. You just don't have the airtime/opportunity. It's not her personality, either. People who critique Berman or Scott are doing it because of their "look-at-me" attempts to dominate. Andrews doesn't try to do that.

Now, her looks and notoriety may have changed the perception of how much she impacts a broadcast, but it's not at the same level of those two. It's apples and oranges. She is not being criticized for the same thing.

Hoffarth did mention some of her on-air struggles...but that was a minor point of the article. If he'd stuck to that, and offered more substance, I don't think he'd be needing further "clarification." The overall tone was pure, petty jealousy. Embarrassing.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

What a mean-spirited, piece-of-shit column. Poorly edited is severely understating the matter.

I have followed Erin Andrews from afar since her start in my hometown area, and here are a few things to think about:
    She has only been in the business for about 10 years, so to compare her unfavorably to women like Kremer and Bernstein and Kolber is silly.
    She has been limited mostly to sideline reporting duty for most of her time at ESPN, but when she was hosting the early College Gameday show she was not horrible. Her inexperience showed at times, but that's all it was. She's a decent interviewer and I think she does pretty well at ad-libbing when she has to.
    She knows sports better than most people give her credit for ... I know she has covered the NHL, MLB and college football, obviously, and I believe she did some NBA work as well.
    In limited dealings with her, I truly believe that she is still somewhat humble and doesn't want all the attention. Sure, she has done things like DWTS and magazine shoots to further her career and make some money, but I think she really is surprised by people taking her picture at the airport.
    She is not a "great" journalist, but she is good at what she does, and the perception that she is advancing based only on her looks is not accurate, in my opinion. It certainly doesn't hurt, but she has some pretty solid experience behind her too.

Draft saved Draft deleted