1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

He's NOT an Erin Andrews fan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Jul 6, 2012.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Holy shit, was that awful. Another middle-aged dipshit in the He-Man Woman Haters Club. And the probably wasn't poor editing, it was poor writing.

The vitriol aimed at Erin Andrews just doesn't make sense to me, except that there are a lot of guys that just never grew up.

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Why is it jealousy to be critical of Erin Andrews? Berman, Stewey, SAS and a host of others get ripped constantly but if someone thinks Andrews is mediocre at her job, it's jealousy. Is she horrible at her job? I don't think so but I don't think the sideline job brings much value to a telecast.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

It is a double standard.... [/crossthread]

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Because people don't say she's mediocre. They ogle her, discount her work, and treat her like less than human.

Saying "I just don't think Erin Andrews brings much to a broadcast" is not exactly the dominant critique of her.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Oh, that's right - and "I just don't think Berman/SAS/Rome/SkipBayliss/etc./etc. brings much to a broadcast" is the dominant critique of them.... ::)

It is like everything else, women want equality until it means they actually do get treated the same way men do, then they want to be treated with chivalry and as if they are some protected species....

If you are a broadcaster on ESPN especially, you will be ripped and critiqued for everything you do no matter if you are male or female.

And for the record, she brings nothing to a broadcast, which means she is no better or worse than 100 percent of the sideline reporters out there.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I quit reading at "plays host to." That's one of my pet peeves.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Like others here, I'm not getting the venom spewed her way. Sideline reporting in general adds little to a football telecast -- it's almost completely style over substance, particularly since Dr. Jerry Punch left football -- but to me it's obvious that Andrews worked hard to become more informed, ask better questions and balance the style/substance equation. Yes, she's still eye candy, but I think she's done more than a fair job.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My junior-level psychology theory is that there are a lot of middle-aged male sportswriters out there for whom Erin symbolizes what they couldn't have as adolescents. Similar to athletes, who symbolize what they couldn't be. The end result is resentment that slips out in their work.

9. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

So you're saying that she is (literally) the cheerleader they couldn't date in high school, who has now gone into their professional in a roundabout way and is getting more fame and fortune than they ever did?

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't know if Erin was a cheerleader in high school.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I suspect this is very close to the truth.

12. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

She was a cheerleader at Florida, or whatever a "Dazzler" is:

[​IMG]

That being said, Hoffarth completely misfired on this article. Bringing the "peeping tom" thing into seemed like a particularly low blow: she sure as hell didn't WANT that to happen and it seemed like she did the best she could to manage the situation once the pictures leaked out.

Draft saved Draft deleted