1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

He's coming for the guns, and hell's coming with him!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BDC99, Dec 31, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Smallpotatoes, read this article, and tell me if you think this store will ever get robbed again:

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

But at least I'd get to go home at the end of my shift. I'm not risking my life and the lives of others for minimum wage.

Pretty much every expert says what they did is what you should not do.

http://www.csnews.com/industry-news-and-trends/expert-insights/1-2-3-surviving-armed-robbery

"
    Step Two: Don’t Be a Hero
    Try to avoid confrontation with the robber. All the robber wants is the money or merchandise and to get away. Don’t look directly into his or her eyes and try to stand as far away as possible. Also, even if you have a firearm and know how to use it, don’t. You may be the best shot in town, but is it worth taking the risk of not being the fastest draw in town? If you want to be a hero, then try to remember everything about the robber so the police will have some good leads to help catch him or her."

But I guess you think that's bad advice.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oh fuck yeah it will, you think liquor store robbers sit at home doing computer cross references of which stores have incidents where armed clerks have fired back?

Some thug with a gun will be driving by one night and think, "that place looks like easy pickings," and he'll walk in and rip 'em off.

Maybe the clerks will be armed and ready and smoke 'em, but just as likely they'll get taken by surprise and get blown away themselves.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

All the thugs in that community will get word and avoid that place for a while. A year or two from now, it will get robbed again. Thugs that rob liquor stores probably don't read the newspapers and keep a database on this kind of stuff.

I'd also be interested to find out the ratio of accidental injuries and deaths among people who keep guns to protect themselves and the total of incidences in which fire arms were successfully used to fend off criminals.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

What percentage of store robberies are carried out by perps not from the immediate area?

I'd guess it's pretty high; if you're going to put any thought into it at all, you're probably going to rob some joint you've never been to before or since, and you're not likely to be back there anytime soon, either.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  7. YankeeFan

Yeah. They were probably kids from the suburbs who robbed that liquor store in the inner-city.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I know a guy, ex-Marine, he and his wife live in a pretty bad part of Birmingham. I mean shootings in the neighborhood are not uncommon bad. He's got a house full of guns, and both he and his wife know very damn well what to do with them. You'd think his house would be a break-in target, but the word got around. "Don't screw with the gray house on the corner. That crazy white guy with all the guns lives there. He'll shoot your ass quick as look at you."

I'm sure that it helps that it has bars and an alarm... but there's a short barreled 12 gauge pump gun within easy reach of the doors, too.

10. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

If you ever watched Westerns, how many gunslingers needed to hide their pistol?

heyabbott likes this.
  11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

So if you owned a store and I worked for you and the store was robbed and I just gave the robber the money and called the cops, would you fire me?

12. YankeeFan

How many hypotheticals can you include in one question?

Draft saved Draft deleted