1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

He's coming for the guns, and hell's coming with him!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BDC99, Dec 31, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I apologize Devil. I was posting from my phone earlier, and probably didn't give your post the respect it deserved.

So, first off, I don't think a made up quote is relevant at all, as compared to an official mailer put out by a campaign. (And, let's be clear, there was no "Indiana Campaign". There was only the Clinton campaign.)

Now, what's striking about the mailer isn't so much that Clinton's position on guns has changed. Her position on guns is unchanged, right?

In the mailer, she's trying to portray Barack Obama as a radical gun grabber, and as someone who is trying to hide his true beliefs on guns from the electorate. (Though he's let it slip a couple of times, which is what she's highlighting.)

Now, this position has been ridiculed by both the President and the media. People who hold it are laughed at as conspiracy theorists, and yet, this was the position Hillary Clinton was pushing when she was desperate.

And, what was she in this Oabama-is-a-radical-gun-grabber scenario? Was she some friend of gun owners? Someone who would defend their rights?

So, while Hillary's positions haven't really changed, her strategy of attack has.

In 2008, she was the defender of gun rights, as compared to Barack Obama.

Now, she's attacking Bernie Sanders as being too gun friendly.

She went on Hardball with Chris Matthews yesterday (by phone, though I didn't see the media uproar on twitter that I see every time Donald Trump does a phoner) to make her case:

In her strongest comments yet on the issue, Hillary Clinton tore into rival Bernie Sanders’ record on gun control Friday evening in an exclusive interview with MSNBC’s Chris Matthews.

“When it really mattered, Sen. Sanders voted with the gun lobby, and I voted against the gun lobby,” Clinton told Matthews, referring to Sanders’ vote for a bill to grant immunity to gun makers from lawsuits when their products are used in crimes.

Calling the immunity law the National Rifle Association’s “most important priority in 20 years,” Clinton said Sanders had shown no interest in reversing course.

“I’ve raised this issue before, standing next to Sen. Sanders,” Clinton continued, referring to the Democratic debates. “He’s refused to give a straight answer. He could, today, introduce legislation to repeal the immunity that was given to gun makers and sellers. I hope he will join me and the president in supporting real change. And that’s what I’m looking for.”

Clinton and Sanders have been trading barbs on guns this week as the White House makes a major push around executive actions President Obama is taking to increase gun safety regulations.

“So this is a significant difference, and it’s important that, you know, maybe it’s time for Sen. Sanders to stand up and say I got this one wrong. But he hasn’t,” Clinton said in the interview. “He’s defended his vote time and again. He said he would consider changes to the law, but, you know, that was three months ago and there’s been no [motion] to introduce anything in the Congress or to stand with, you know, those Democrats who want to repeal this, you know, really irresponsible blanket immunity that was voted in for the gun makers and sellers.”

On Friday, Clinton’s campaign said that Sanders was out of step with the White House and suggested that Obama would not campaign for the Vermont senator if he won the Democratic primary. They made the accusation based on a New York Times op-ed Obama published warning that he would not support any candidate for president of either party who did not align with him on guns, including repealing the immunity law.

Hillary Clinton slams Bernie Sanders on guns

And then today, her campaign chairman, John Podesta, tweeted out this:

So, now she's trying to tie herself to President Obama on guns, in contrast to the radical Bernie Sanders.

She's full of shit.

heyabbott and expendable like this.
  2. YankeeFan

But Clinton’s criticism of Sanders’ record went beyond the immunity law. “I think Sen. Sanders has been wrong on gun safety and that he’s wrong on the fact that this is the leading cause of death for young people in our country, particularly young African-American men,” Clinton told Matthews. “So it represents a very clear choice in a Democratic primary.”

And there was more. “Sen. Sanders voted five times against The Brady Bill, five times. And it has been the principal instrument for us keeping more than 2 million guns out of the hands of fugitives, felons, stalkers, the people who should not have them in the first place,” she said.

“He voted against closing loopholes,” she continued, accusing Sanders of voting for the so-called Charleston loophole. And she said he voted to allow guns on Amtrak trains as well.

She said this was “a pattern” with Sanders in opposing gun control, “and it’s a pattern that I have been calling out.”

3. YankeeFan

4. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Those who can't, teach.

5. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

He's made a mashie-niblick of it, he has!

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000

Looks like Trumps coming for your assault rifles.

8. YankeeFan

Hey, look at that. An actual quote. We're getting somewhere.

Is there anyone unaware at this point that Trump is a political chameleon, willing to change his position on just about anything to appeal to the masses?

Let's also not act like this flip flop on the issue has gone unreported. The AP, among others, reported it here:

Trump's latest policy paper marks departure on gun control

But, here's the thing: Trump is leading in a lot of polls, it's true, but his candidacy has establishment Republicans terrified. They hate him. They are desperate to topple him, they just can't.

We've seen mainstream republicans, including presidential candidates, refuse to say they would vote for Trump if he was the nominee, or even say they would not vote for him.

Hillary?

She's just as willing to say anything, on any issue, as Trump is, in order to get elected.

She was the original birther. It was her campaign that leaked the photo of Obama in "Muslim garb" to the Drudge Report. She's the one whose campaign tried to portray Barack Obama as a radical gun grabber, and is now trying to paint Bernie as radically soft on guns.

And, the Democratic Party establishment wants to coronate her.

Trump has his issues. It's true.

But, please, don't act like any supporter of Hillary is somehow walking the high road with her.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Stewart/Colbert. It's our only hope now.

Inky_Wretch and HC like this.
  10. YankeeFan

Bloomberg!

He's done polling, and guns is his issue.

It'll be especially great if Bernie somehow gets the nomination. Obama says he won't vote for, or campaign for, anyone who opposes him on gun control. Maybe we'll get Obama endorsing Bloomberg in a three way battle. Wouldn't that be fun?

Even in a three way battle between Clinton, Trump, and Bloomberg, I fail to see how Bloomberg does anything other than to help elect Trump.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Between Trump, CLinton and Bloomberg the election ends a in plurality with the President selected by the House of Representatives. I think Bloomberg carries, New York, Connecticutt, Washington State maybe Vermont New Hampshire Delaware. .

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The birther movement actually started on Free Republic.

Barackryphal: The Secret Origin of the Birthers

Some Hillary supporters were birthers; that is true. I'm sure she looked into it and found there was no there there.

Draft saved Draft deleted