1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Herschel: Hey Spurrier! You and me! Outside! Right now!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Nov 14, 2007.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

If you didn't get a chance, look at the "Tale of the Tape" the AJC put online. Pretty funny.

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

The best part of Haralson's 491 personal foul penalties for the Vols was that he was widely-known as one of the nicest guys on the team as soon as his helmet came off. But when the helmet came on, quarterbacks were fair game for as many as 10 seconds after releasing the football.

3. Gag. Stupid column. Didn't even get the facts right. Everything I saw quoted Spurrier saying he'd send one of his benchwarmers to incite the suspensions. It wasn't Spurrier talking tough, it was what he would do to, and it possibly deterred Ga. or any other school from doing it to his team.

And big man, Herschel, for challenging a dried-up football coach to a fight ... ::)

4. John

John Well-Known Member

5. I was listening to the SEC teleconference. Someone, maybe Joe, asked about it and told Spurrier that Walker challenged him "to a (garble)." There was a phone drop-out, or something, and Spurrier didn't hear the word "fight." Neither did I.

"A what?" Spurrier asked.

Then the questioner talked for about 30 seconds, going in a different direction and never clarifying what Spurrier never heard, and I kept waiting for him to say again, "Challenged me to a what?" -- but it never happened. I think Spurrier was just confused about what was going on, and finally he just said he'd have no comment.

It was frustrating to listen to -- like seeing two people talking and realizing they're not really communicating.

Draft saved Draft deleted